Wednesday, 29 August 2018

The Napier Bookplates




Francis Scott Napier, 8th Lord Napier (23 February 1758 – 1 August 1823) was a British peer and army officer.
The son of Hon. William Napier (later 7th Lord Napier) and his wife, the Hon. Mary, a daughter of Charles Cathcart, 8th Lord Cathcart.
Entered the Army 1774 commissioned into the 31st Foot and was promoted to a lieutenant in 1776. After serving with General Burgoyne in Canada, he fought in the American Revolutionary War with the Convention Army under Burgoyne at the time of their defeat and surrender at the Battle of Saratoga in 1777; being imprisoned after the Convention of Saratoga 1777; Maj, 4th Regiment of Foot 1784-89; Grand Master of Scottish Freemasons 1788-90 ; his right to the peerage was questioned at the election of Scottish peers in 1790 but established in 1793; a Representative Peer for Scotland 1796-1806 and 1807-23; Lord Lieutenant of Selkirkshire 1797-1823; Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland 1802-16
On 13 April 1784, Napier married Maria Margaret Clavering (c.1756–1821), the daughter of Lt.-Gen. Sir John Clavering, at St George's, Hanover Square. They had five daughters and four sons, including Hon. William John (1786–1834), later 9th Lord Napier.
Franks 21 540 & 21 541
A Spade Shield Armorial.
Arms: Quarterly:  1st and 4th, Argent a Saltire engrailed cantoned of four Roses Gules barbed Vert (Napier); 2nd and 3rd, Or on a Bend Azure a Mullet pierced between two Crescents of the field within a Double Tressure flory counter-flory of the second (Scott of Thirlestane); below the Shield on a Compartment the Top of a Tower embattled Argent, masoned Sable issuant therefrom six Lances disposed saltirewise proper three and three with Pennons Azure (Scott). Coronet.
Supporters: Dexter - An Eagle wings expanded proper; Sinister - A Chevalier in Coat of Mail and Steel Cap all proper holding in the exterior hand a Lance with a Pennon Azure.
Mottoes: Ready Aye Ready
Some, mistakenly attribute it, to his son William John Napier, 9th Lord Napier, Baron Napier, FRSE (13 October 1786 – 11 October 1834) was a British Royal Navy officer and trade envoy in China who according to Franks had also an armorial bookplate 21 543 (and 21 544 – 21 546).


Franks 21 542
Most probably of Francis Napier, 10th Lord Napier and 1st Baron EttrickKTPC (15 September 1819 – 19 December 1898) was a Scottish diplomat and colonial administrator. He served as the British Minister to the United States from 1857 to 1859, Netherlands from 1859 to 1860, Russia from 1861 to 1864, Prussia from 1864 to 1866 and as the Governor of Madras from 1866 to 1872. He also acted as the Viceroy of India from February to May 1872. Napier was made a Knight of the Thistle in 1864. In 1872, he was created Baron Ettrick in the Peerage of the United Kingdom in recognition of his services in India. Married Anne Jane Charlotte Lockwood CI (b. 1824; d. 24 Aug 1911).
Arms, encircled by the badge and motto “Fax mentis Honestae Gloria” of a Baronet of Nova Scotia, supporters (same as above) and coronet on a mantle.




Lord Francis Napier left a valuable library which was sold at an Auction in 1912, at Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge.
Cf. Catalogue of the valuable library of the late Dowager Lady Napier and Ettrick (for the most part collected by her husband, the late Lord Napier and Ettrick, K.T.) : comprising antiquarian, architectural and genealogical works on Scotland ... ; numerous works on America and India ; and works in general literature ... ; also the library of the late Canon A.R. Maddison comprising standard works, chiefly modern, including many works on genealogy and heraldry : which will be sold by auctions by Messrs. Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge ... on Monday, 11th of November, 1912, and two following days.


Thursday, 12 July 2018

OBITUARY - Artur Mário Mota Miranda (1928-2018)




Artur Mário Mota Miranda, who died at the age of 90 on April 25, was the dean of the Portuguese ex-librists, and dedicated his life to the dissemination and promotion of ex libris across borders.

At the end of the 50's he founded in Oporto with other enthusiasts and amateurs of ex libris the Oporto Association of Ex  íbris (APEL) that in 1956 began the publication of a magazine - "The Art of Ex Libris" with uninterrupted publication until the mid-'90s, dedicated exclusively to the world of ex libris under the direction of Artur Mário Mota Miranda. Neither his professional career in the ranks of the Overseas Administration that led him to prolonged stays in Portuguese Africa diminished his untiring enthusiasm with the timely publication of the Bulletin. Tireless because it involved keeping copious postal correspondence with collectors, artists, printers and similar associations.


Under his impulse APEL gradually established fruitful international contacts with the revived European ex libristi movement and with the ex libris artists active in Spain, France, Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Denmark and above all, in the Eastern European countries.
In fact, from 1953 onwards, Ex Libris Congresses (or Meetings) began to take place in various European cities - Kufstein (Austria), Lugano (Switzerland), Antwerp (Belgium), Frankfurt (R: FA), Amsterdam Barcelona (Spain), followed by Vienna, Paris and Krakow in 1964 - bringing together artists and collectors. Hence the foundation of an organization of pan-European origin that brought together various national Ex Libris Associations was a step. FISAE was born in 1966, during the Congress of Hamburg, under the impulse of Dott. Ing. Gianni Mantero, Albert Collart, Jean-Charles Meyer, Mme Meyer-Noirel and Carlo Chiesa, with 15 founding members, among them the A.P.E.L. who immediately joined, again under the influence of Mota Miranda.

Under the auspices of FISAE, 7 volumes of the work "Artistas de Ex-LíbrisEx Libris Artists – Artistes d’ex Libris" were published up to 1984, with Mota Miranda assuring the edition and publication of volumes III-VII, the last published.

Accumulating the functions of Director and Editor of the Bulletin «The Art of Ex-Libris» with those of President of the APEL Board that, in 1975, would be renamed the Portuguese Ex Libris Association, Mota Miranda gave the Bulletin an international perspective with a high graphic quality and content, disseminating the work of numerous ex libris artists, highlighting those from Eastern European countries, to a wider audience of ex libris amateurs, attracting the support of the most important artists and collectors.

Two decades after the foundation of APEL and one of the foundation of FISAE, Mota Miranda presented, on behalf of APEL, the candidacy for the organization of the XVI International FISAE Ex Libris Congress, which was to be held in Lisbon from 16-20 August. 1976, with the invaluable support of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation.


Mota Miranda was able to gather around him a plethora of enthusiasts - especially the eminent collector and artist Aulo-Gélio Severino Godinho, Eugénio Mealha, Fausto Moreira Rato and Sérgio de Oliveira - who successfully completed the Congress, with six excellent thematic Exhibitions of Ex Libris, Conferences and an International Ex Libris Contest, which involved, as an unprecedented fact, simultaneous translation at conferences and the Assembly of Delegates.



Meanwhile, Mota Miranda shuffled the task of editing and directing the monumental work Ex-libris bio-bibliographical encyclopedia of contemporary ex-libris art: encyclopédie bio-bibliographique de l'art de l'ex-libris contemporain: encyclopaedia bio-bibliographical of the art of the contemporary ex-libris: Bio-Bibliographische Enzyklopädie der Kunst Zeitgenössischer Exlibris: Bio-bibliografica dell'arte dell'ex libris contemporary, 30 vols, Braga, Edit. Franciscan, [1985-2003]. 

Following another one titled Contemporary International Ex-Libris Artists, having edited 24 volumes [2003-2018].

And in association with the great Italian collector Prof. Gian Carlo Torre he edited and published in 2003 the reference work on the Cervantine thematics - La aventura de Don Quijote en los ex-libris, edition limited to 300 copies, with articles by Gian Carlo Torre, Manuel Fontán del Junco and Mariarosa Scaramuzza Vidoni, and which includes a Catalog of Cervantes Ex Libris, by Gian Carlo Torre, José Miguel Valderrama Esparza and Artur Mota Miranda. 


In 2013-2104, she also edited two limited edition thematic works "Women Artists in the World of Ex Libris" and "Ex Libris Designers and their World".

Recognizing and paying tribute to his long activity as publisher and diffuser of the ex libris, FISAE awarded him in 2003 the Helmer Fogedgaard Certificate and in 2007, the Gianni Mantero Certificate.


Artur Mota Miranda had an unusual large number of personal ex-libris made by some of the most famous ex libris artists of the last 50 years, from Eduardo Dias Ferreira, Paes Ferreira, Aulo-Gélio Godinho, Marie-Louise Albessart, René Barande, Charles Favet, Jocelyn Mercier, Daniel Meyer, Raymond Prevost, E. Reitsma-Valenca, Antoon Vermeylen, Raymond Verstraeten, Christian Blæsbjerg, Julio Fernandez Saez, Maria Josefa Colom, Dafinel Duinea, Virgilio Tramontin, Pier-Luigi Gerosa, Ernesto Guffanti, Anatolij Kalaschnikow, Jaroslav Horanek, Miroslav Houra, Pavel Hlavaty, Miroslav Knap, Bohumil Kratky, Jana Krejcova, Mart Lepp, Arisztid Nagy, Arpad Daniel Nagy, Johann Naha, Evald Okas, Herbert S. Ott, Béla Petry, Zoltan Vén, Jaroslav Vodrazka to Marius Martinescu, to name but a few.


And, over more than half a century of activity, he assembled a vast collection of ex libris, highlighting the themes that attracted him most - Modernism and Art-Nouveau and Cervantes.


Over the past years he was an active presence in the FISAE Congresses keeping in touch with old friends, collectors and artists, and making new acquaintances among the new generation of artists.


With Mota Miranda disappears one of the pillars of ex libris in Portugal and a  distinguished member of a generation who revived ex libris in Europe.






Sunday, 5 August 2012

Richard Sealy, Esq. Lisbon


RICHARD SEALY (b. abt. 1745 – d. Lisbon 1821).

 He was merchant at Lisbon and a distinguished member of the British Factory,  a partner of the Lisbon House of Evans, Offley, & Sealy, a firm linked by partnership to the Offley firms in London and Porto. He married Elizabeth Baldwin (b. ?- d. 2.09.1811, at Lisbon.)

When in the autumn of 1807, British merchants were ordered to leave the country due to French preassures, Captain Mac Kinley, R.N. played an important role, as senior officer on the Lisbon station, in protecting the property of the British Factory members and bringing them safely aboard British vessels. Among the merchants who afterwards presented Cap. Mc Kinley with a gift was Mr. Richard Sealy.

He had at least two children: George Timothy Sealy, (Lisbon, 07.09.1781) and Mary Harriet Sealy, (Lisbon, 1.02.1784 – d. 29.06.1811).

His son George married in 5.11.1809, Sophia eldest daughter of George Roach Esq., of Liverpool and of Lisbon, who died at Lima, Peru in 16.07.1835. George Sealy was British Vice-Consul at Lima, Peru. He was established by 1820’s in Brazil with a firm Sealy & Co which was dissolved in 1826.

Mary Harriet Sealy in turn, married in 17.05.1809, at Saint George, Liverpool, Dr. Henry Herbert Southey MD (Edinburgh), FRCP (London), FRS, Honorary DCL (Oxford) in 1847, b. Bristol 18.01.1784, the younger son of Robert Southey, a linen draper, (c. 1745 – c. 1792) and his wife (m. 25.9.1772), Margaret Hill (b. c. 1752 in Somerset, died 5.1.1802 in London). He was the younger brother of the famous poet Robert Southey born 12.8.1774, who refers Richard Sealey, his brother's father-in-law in some of his letters.

Of Richard Sealey two different bookplates are known in Portuguese collections(both NIF).
The one, that seems to be the oldest - in oval shape (see above) - was first published by the collector Jaime Augusto Moura, in the «Archivo Nacional de Ex-Libris», I vol. nº 5, December, 1927, pp. 83-84, referring also the second bookplate which had been previously revealed by another famous collector and writer Col. Henrique de Campos Ferreira Lima, in the earlier «Revista de Ex-Líbris Portugueses», vol. II, p. 135.


But as it usually occurred in those days, little information was given on the bookplate owner, apart from being a British merchant.
The British armorials do not give arms to this gentleman or family which is not at all anormal, since many commoners adopted arms of a given surname without registering then at the College of Arms.
Having lived so long in Portugal it is natural that his bookplates, although not very common, appear in Portuguese bookplate collections.

Superlibros of Lord Charles Stuart of Rothesay

Reviewed August 2012



Charles Stuart, GCB, PC, GCTS (1779-1845)
1st Baron Stuart of Rothesay (cr. 1828) and Count of Machico (1825) and Marquess of Angra do Heroismo, in Portugal.
For his portrait in fine robes when he was Ambassador to France see, http://www.gac.culture.gov.uk/search/Object.asp?object_key=29014
The son of Lieut.-General Sir Charles Chrichton-Stuart, KB, who commanded a batallion of the 37th Regiment of Foot during the War of the American Revolution, and grandson of John Stuart, KG, 3rd Earl of Bute. His mother was Lady Anne Louisa Bertie, daughter of Lord Vere Bertie.
Lord Stuart of Rothesay married Lady Elizabeth Margaret Yorke, daughter of the 3rd Earl of Hardwicke and had two daughters.
Minister at the Hague (1815), Ambassador to France (1815-24 and 1828-30), Envoy to Portugal (1810), Ambassador to St. Petersburg (1841-45), Ambassador to Portugal (1825-26) and a member of the Regency of Portugal during the Peninsular Wars.
In 1823, acting as a mediator, he was sent as an Ambassador of King John VI of Portugal to Brazil to negotiate the independence and on behalf of George Canning, to assure a new trade agreement with the Empire of Brazil favourable to British interests.
Later, after John VI's death in 1826, he went again to Brazil and brought to Portugal the Constitutional Chart given by the new king Dom Pedro IV together with his abdication on his daughter Mary who was to marry her uncle D. Miguel, the ultras leader, then in exile in Austria.
This however did not settle the dynastic dispute, since his younger brother Dom Miguel was acclaimed king in 1828, giving rise to a civil war- known to British authors as the 'War of the Two Brothers' - which lasted till 1834.
He was awarded the Grand Cross of the Order of the Tower and of the Sword in 1812.
Lord Stuart of Rothesay fullfilled his life dream of reacquring his grandfather's estate - Highcliffe - and built a new house - Highcliffe Castle , Hampshire, in the Gothic revival style.
For his earlier house - Bure Homage see, http://www.users.freenetname.co.uk/~bgwells/BAEXCHSite/xchsite.htm


His library, like so many others, was sold in an auction in London in 1855, of which a Catalogue was printed.
Fortunately enough, two XIXth century well-knonw Portuguese bibliophiles bought many books at the auction of Sir Charles Stuart of Rothesay's Library, in 1855: the Count of Lavradio and Mr. João da Guerra Rebelo Fontoura, a wine merchant in London. The latter was married 2ndly, to Cecilia Eleanor Canning. Both these libraries were in turn later dispersed at auction sales, Fontoura's having been sold in Leipzig, by Mssrs. Karl W. Hiersemann, in 1899 (cf. Luís de Bivar Guerra, «A biblioteca de Lord Stuart de Rothesay núcleo de duas importantes livrarias portuguesas», pp. 120-123).
Lord Stuart of Rothesay also used another superlibros (a crest with motto) on the bindings of his books (see, example from a book at St. John's College, Cambridge -http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/library/special_collections/early_books/pix/provenance/stuart/stuart.htm)
Part of his papers with important correspondance have left Europe and are at the Andersen Library, University of Minnesota (see, http://special.lib.umn.edu/findaid/xml/mss024.xml) and at Lilly Library (see, http://www.indiana.edu/~liblilly/lilly/mss/html/stuart.html). An important collection of maps his at the Univ. of California, Los Angeles (see, http://ark.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/tf3p300592/)

Lord Stuart used in his books bindings a superlibros described below.

Arms: Stuart of Rothesay
Motto: «Avito Viret Honor», «Nobilis Ira»

Monday, 11 June 2012

John Peter Hornung


John Peter Hornung (1862- 1940), of West Grinstead Park
He was one of the eight children the Hungarian-born John Peter Hornung (1821-1886) who having come to Britain became a very wealthy iron, coal and timber merchant, m. to Harriet, née Armstrong.
John Peter Hornung founded in 1890 with a small group of investors, a company to explore the vast plantations of sugar cane they had in Mozambique - Companhia do Açucar de Moçambique. Expanding the business J. P. Hornung then decided to build a sugar refinery plant in Lisbon, at Alcântara – Refinaria Colonial - which was opened by King Emmanuel II and his uncle the Duke of Oporto, in March, 12th, 1909.
In 1920, the company became the Sena Sugar Estates Ltd.
Apart from being a sugar magnate, John Peter Hornung purchased the manor of West Grinstead and the manor house, West Grinstead Park, from Sir Merrik Burrell in 1913 and having a keen interest in horse breeding and racing took over bloodstock and racing stables at Woodland and Green Lodge, Newmarket, in 1924 and also started a stud for breeding race horses at Park Farm, the home farm of the West Grinstead Park Estate. The stud was run by J. P. Hornung, with his two sons, Colonel Charles Bernard Raphael Hornung of Ivory's Farm, West and  Captain George Hornung, of West Grinstead Lodge.
John Peter Hornung had an armorial bookplate, probably of German origin, with crest and motto - Fac et Spera. (NIF)
Sources:
‘West Grinstead: Manors and other estates', A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 6 Part 2: Bramber Rape (North-Western Part) including Horsham (1986), pp. 89-94. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18330 (Date accessed: 11 June 2012).
Bertha Mary Collin. J. P. Hornung, a family portrait. A Memoir : Orpington Press Ltd (1971)

Sunday, 10 June 2012

Julius Graf von Falkenhayn


Julius Graf von Falkenhayn (1829 - 1899)

He was an Austrian politician (Minister of Agriculture in 1879) and courtier, the son of General Eugen Graf von Falkenhayn (1792-1853) and of his wife Countess Caroline Colloredo-Wallsee (1802-1835).
Sources: Karl Emich Graf zu Leiningen-Westerburg. German Book-plates - An Illustrated Handbook of German & Austrian Exlibris, London, George Bell & Sons, 1901

Saturday, 9 June 2012

Capt. Nevill, R.N.



NIF

Captain Hon. Ralph Nevill, R.N., styled Viscount Nevill (b. 21 Dec 1786; - 20 May 1826)

He was the second son of Henry Nevill, 2nd Earl of Abergavenny, KT (1755-1843) and his wife Mary Robinson (d. 26 Oct 1796), only child of John Robinson MP, of of Sion Hill and Wyke House, co. Middlesex, Secretary to the Treasury, by his wife Mary Crowe, of Barbados. Married 2 Feb 1813 Mary Anne Elcock (d. 6 Jun 1828), dau. of Bruce Elcock, of Chelsea, London

Styled Viscount Nevill, after the premature death of his elder brother Henry Goeorge Nevill, in April 1806, when he became heir apparent to his father, but died at Boulogne-sur-Mer, in 1826, before his father.
He served on H.M.S. Victory in the Battle of Trafalgar, and in 1806 he was a Lieutenant on board Admiral Lord Collingwood's Flag ship. He obtained the rank of Captain in 1811, in the Royal Navy.
Arms: Gules, on a saltire, argent, a rose of the first, barbed and seeded proper.

Crest: In a ducal coronet or, a bull's head, argent pied sable, armed of the first and charged on the neck with a rose gules
Motto: Ne vile velis

Thursday, 22 March 2012

Emmanuel-Armand de Vignerot du Plessis de Richelieu, duc d'Aiguillon

L'ex-libris du duc avec ses armes ayant pendant de l'écu les colliers des Ordres du Roi, dont il était chevalier depuis 1756
Emmanuel-Armand de Vignerot du Plessis de Richelieu, duc d'Aiguillon (31 Juillet 1720 – 1782)

  
Comte d'Agénois et de Condomois puis duc d'Agénois et duc d'Aiguillon, pair de France (1740), lieutenant général des armées du Roi, commandant en chef en Bretagne, ministre et secrétaire d'État des Affaires étrangères et de la Guerre (1771-74). Chevalier des Ordres du Roi (Versailles, 2 février 1756).
Fils d'Armand Louis de Vignerot du Plessis (1683-1750), duc d'Aiguillon et arrière-petit-neveu du cardinal de Richelieu, et d'Anne Charlotte de Crussol de Florensac (1700-1772). 
Mousquetaire le 11 Mai 1737, Lieutenant en second au Régiment du Roi le 26 Mai 1738, Colonel du Régiment de Brie,à 19 ans, par Commission du 6 Mai 1739. Duc, sur la démission de son père, le 14 Janvier 1740, appellé le Duc d’Agenois. 
Il servit à la tête de son Régiment à  l' armée envoyée en Bavière au mois de Mars 1742, sous les ordres du Duc d’ Harcourt, puis du Comte de Saxe pendant la Guerre de Succession d'Autriche; concourut à la défense d Eggenfeld sous les ordres du Prince de Conti, en 1743 ; passa en Italie au mois de Février 1744 ; reçut une blessure considérable à l’attaque du Château Dauphin la même année; fut fait Brigadier le 1 Avril 1745 ; prisonnier de guerre avec toute la garnison d’Asti le 4 Mars 1746 ; échangé au mois de Juin 1747, il passa le 22 Août à Gènes sous les ordres du Duc de Richelieu, et contribua à la défense de cette place.
Fut fait Maréchal de Camp le 1 Janvier 1748 ; aggrégé au Corps des Nobles Génois et inscrit dans le Livre d’or le 1 7 octobre suivant. 
À la mort de son père arrivée le 31 Janvier 1750 il prit le titre de Duc d Aiguillon obtint le Gouvernement de la Fere, par Provisions du 12 Février ; prêta serment au Parlement comme Pair, le 3 Septembre suivant et a été nommé Lieutenant Général au Comté Nantois, par Provisions données à Versailles le 10 Avril et le 20 suivant a obtenu le Commandement en chef de la Province de Bretagne (1753-1768).
Louis XV l'a nommé Chevalier des Ordres du Roi le 1 Janvier 1756.


“Combat de Saint Cast gagné sur les Anglais par les troupes françaises commandées par Monseigneur le duc d'Aiguillon” en 1758, d'après une gravure d'Ozanne, 1758-59, Paris, BNF Gallica
Lieutenant Général des Armées le 1 Mai 1758, il doit se battre contre les Britanniques qui tentent un débarquement et défend victorieusement Saint-Malo en juin 1758, et il bat néanmoins les Anglais qui ont débarqué, lors de la bataille de Saint-Cast et leur tua environ 3.000 hommes, en fit 800 prisonniers, et l’artillerie leur coula à fond trois barques chargées de soldats. Comme Gouverneur de Bretagne - pays cieux de ses priviléges et libertés - il se rend vite impopulaire par son opposition aux états provinciaux pour leurs imposer les impositions royales en 1758, entrant en conflit avec le Parlement de Bretagne en 1762, qui l'accuse deux ans aprés d'abus de pouvoir.

Il ne tarde pas à se rendre très impopulaire dans un pays d'état qui jouit de nombreux privilèges ou « libertés ». Il s'oppose aux états provinciaux pour leur imposer les impositions royales en 1758 et entre en conflit avec le Parlement de Bretagne en 1762. En juin 1764, sur les instances de d'Aiguillon, le Roi annule un arrêt du Parlement interdisant de lever de nouveaux impôts sans le consentement des états et refuse d'entendre les remontrances du Parlement. 


 En considération de ses services, le Roi lui a accordé au mois de Décembre 1761 les entrées de sa Chambre et le 1 Mars 1762, la charge de Gouverneur et Lieutenant Général de la Province d Alsace. Puis, en 1769, il est nommé Capitaine Lieutenant des Chevaux Légers de la Garde du Roi. 


Le Duc d Aiguillon a été Ministre des Affaires Etrangères et a fait pendant quelques mois  les fonctions de Ministre de la Guerre après la retraite de M. de Montainard. Pendant son mandat il a appuié les démarches de l'Espagne et de Naples auprès de Clément XIV pour obtenir la suppression des Jésuites, décidée le 21 juillet 1773 par le bref Dominus ac redemptor et il a négocié la restitution au Saint-Siège d'Avignon et du Comtat Venaissin, qui est acceptée par lettres patentes de Louis XV du 10 avril 1774. Le duc a aussi étè l’agent d'un timide rapprochement franco-britannique. 


Il se marie en 1740 avec Louise Félicité de Brehan (1726-1796), fille de Louis Robert Hippolite de Bréhan, appellé le Comte de Plelo, Ambassadeur de France en Danemarck  tué en dirigeant l'offensive contre le siège de Dantzig, et de Louise-Françoise Phélypeaux de La Vrillière, qui avait été Dame du Palais de la Reine en 1748.




Wikipéedia - Blason du duc d'Aiguillon, musée Paul-Dupuy à Toulouse 



Sources

  • La Chesnaye-Desbois, Dictionnaire de la noblesse, 2e édition, tome 11, Paris, Boudet, 1776, pp. 367-368 [lire en ligne].
  • Lucien Laugier, Le duc d’Aiguillon, Paris, Albatros, 1984, 300 p.
  • Alain Paraillous, Le duc d'Aiguillon (1720-1788), Editions Sud Ouest, 2010.
  • G. Meyer-Noirel // J Laget. Répertoire général des ex-libris français : des origines à l'époque moderne, 1496-192019 vols., [1983-2010], V0249