Monday, 29 June 2009

Earl of Shrewsbury



Charles Talbot, 15th Earl of Shrewsbury (1753–1827)



He was the son of Charles Talbot (1722-1766) and of Mary Mostyn daughter of Sir George Mostyn, 4th Bt. He succeeded his uncle George Talbot (1719-1787) 14th Earl of Shrewsbury. Also Earl of Wexford and Waterford in Ireland, Baron Talbot, Strange (of Blackmere), Furnival, Verdon, Lovetot, Giffard (of Brimsfield), Comyn (of Badenoch), Valence and Montchensy.


He began in 1812 the creation of the extensive gardens at Alveton Lodge, Staffordshire (later renamed Alton Towers) which estate had been in the family since the 15th century. He married Elizabeth Hoey, daughter of James Hoey, of Ireland. They left no issue.

Upon his death he was succeeded by his nephew John Talbot, 16th Earl of Shrewsbury (1791–1852) who in 1831, moved the family seat to Alton Towers, having lost the family home at Heythrop, Oxfordshire. Lord John Talbot a devout Catholic proceeded with the improvements fo the House and Gardens at Alton Towers.


But sadly, the contents of Alton Towers were sold in auction by Mssr Christie and Mason at Alton Towers on July 6th 1857 (see, http://www.altontowersheritage.com/article.asp?articleid=57), on the death of Bertram Arthur Talbot (1832-1856) 17th Earl of Shrewsbury (suc. 1852), Earl of Waterford and Wexford in Ireland, Lord High Steward of Ireland, the son of Lieut. Colonel Charles Thomas Talbot (1782-1838) son of a younger brother of the 14th earl, and a cousin of the 15th earl.


Arms: Gules, a lion rampant, within a border, engrailed, or
Crest: On a chapeau, Gules, turned up ermine, a lion statant, or, his tail extended.
Supporters: Two Talbots, argent.

Tuesday, 16 June 2009

Lord Carteret



Henry Frederick Carteret, 1st Baron Carteret PC (1735–1826)


He was the second son of Thomas Thynne, 2nd Viscount Weymouth, and his second wife Louisa, daughter of John Carteret, 2nd Earl Granville. His elder brother was Thomas Thynne, 3rd Viscount Weymouth and 1st. Marquess of Bath.
An MP he was elected for Herefordshire till 1770.
He was made a member of the Privy Council in 1770. In 1776, he changed his name to Carteret, when he succeeded to Hawnes Park, Bedfordshire on the death of his uncle Robert Carteret, 3rd Earl Granville. He was created Baron Carteret, of Hawnes, in 1784.

F # 5295


Earl of Harrowby


Dudley Ryder, 1st Earl of Harrowby, PC, FSA (1762–1847)

He was the son of Nathaniel Ryder (1735-1803), 1st Baron Harrowby, an MP, and his wife Elizabeth Terrick, dau of Bishop Terrick of London and a grandson of Sir Dudley Ryder (1691-1756), a lawyer and Lord Chief Justice of the Kings Bench. Nathaniel Ryder bought the Sandon estate in 1776 from Lord Archibald Hamilton.
He was educated at Harrow School and St John's College, Cambridge and was a Member of the Parliament for nearly 50 years. Created Earl of Harrowby in 1809.
Lord Harrowby married Lady Susan Leveson-Gower, daughter of Granville Leveson-Gower, 1st Marquess of Stafford, in 1795.
In 1804 he was Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs in William Pitt’s Government and after leaving office he was appointed, in 1805, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. In that year he was sent as Ambassador Extraordinary and Minister: Plenipotentiary to Berlin, Vienna, and St Petersburg, on a special diplomatic mission. In 1809 he was created Viscount Sandon, of Sandon in the County of Stafford, and Earl of Harrowby, in the County of Lincoln and from 1812 to 1827 he was Lord President of the Council under Lord Liverpool.

Franks # 25823
Arms: Ryder impaling Leveson-Gower.

Monday, 15 June 2009

Lord Colchester


Charles Abbot, 1st Baron Colchester, PC, FRS (1757 –1829)

He was the son of Dr John Abbot, rector of All Saints, Colchester, and, by his mother's second marriage, half-brother of the famous Jeremy Bentham. In 1793, he became a Fellow of the Royal Society.
MP and statesman holding cabinet positions under six prime ministers, including Chief Secretary and Privy Seal for Ireland (1801) and Speaker of the House of Commons. On 1817 he was raised to the peerage as Baron Colchester with a pension.
In 1796, he married Elizabeth Gibbes (1760-1847), the elder daughter of Sir Philip Gibbes, baronet, of Springhead, Barbados.

Frank’s #4

Arms: Gules on a chevron, between three pears or, as many crosses, reguly, az. Within a tressure, flory, of the second.
Crest: Out of a ducal coronet or, a unicorn’s head erm. maned and tuffed of the first, between six ostrich feathers ar. quilled or.
Supporters: On either side a unicorn erm. armed, maned, hoofed and tufted, or gorged.

Sources: John Burke. A General and heraldic dictionary of the peerage and baronetage of the British Empire, vol. 1, H. Colburn and R. Bentley, 1832

See, The Diary and Correspondence of Charles Abbot, Lord Colchester; Speaker of the House of Commons 1802-1817, 3 vols, 1861; reprint, Adamant Media Corporation, 2002

Lord George Lennox





General Lord George Henry Lennox (1737 – 1805)


He was the son of Charles Lennox, 2nd Duke of Richmond & 2nd Duke of Lennox and of Lady Sarah Cadogan, the daughter of William Cadogan, 1st Earl Cadogan. From his father he was a great-grandson of King Charles II.
The 2nd Duke of Richmond followed the Hanoverians serving as Lord of the Bedchamber to George II and as Master of the Horse and fought as a Lieutenant-General against Bonnie Prince Charlie at the Battle of Culloden, in 1746.
Lord George Lennox married Lady Louisa Kerr in 1759, the daughter of Sir William Henry Kerr, 4th Marquess of Lothian – aide-de-camp to the Duke of Cumberland, at the Battle of Culloden - and Lady Caroline Darcy.
Their son Charles Lennox (1764-1819) succeeded his uncle in 1806, as 4th Duke of Richmond and his grandson Charles Lennox, 5th Duke of Richmond was to inherit the Gordon estates from his maternal uncle George Gordon, 5th Duke of Gordon.
George Lennox was the colonel of the 33rd Regiment of Foot till 1762, when he was appointed colonel of the King's Own Scottish Borderers and on 1784 he was appointed Constable of the Tower of London.
Arms: Lennox impaling Kerr
F 18146

Saturday, 13 June 2009

Stephen Martin Leake, (1702-1773)



Stephen Martin Leake, (1702-1773)
Garter Principal King of Arms, numismatist and author



He was the son of Captain Stephen Martin (1656-1725), a naval officer, and his wife, Elizabeth Hill, dau of Captain Richard Hill, of Yarmouth, Norfolk. Elizabeth’s sister Christian married rear-admiral Sir John Leake, commander-in-chief of the Fleet and Lord Commissioner of the Admiralty in the reign of Queen Anne. The Admiral being a widow and having no surviving issue adopted his brother-in-law Captain Martin as his heir. The latter was then authorized to add the surname Leake to his own.
Stephen Martin Leake married, in 1735, Anne, daughter of Fletcher Powell, a brewer.
Elected FSA March 1726 and in the same year was created Lancaster Herald of Arms in Ordinary at the College of Arms. Promoted to Norroy King of Arms in December of 1729, Clarenceux King of Arms in 1741 and appointed Garter Principal King of Arms in 1754. He also compiled a collection of drawings of knights' stall plates from St George's Chapel, and travelled abroad to invest foreign princes with the Garter.
Published Nummi Britannici Historia, London, 1726; The life of Sir John Leake, Knt., Admiral of the Fleet, London, 1750 He also left manuscript Life of Captain Stephen Martin, 1666-1740, edited by Clements Robert Markham, for the Navy Records Society, in 1895 and several valuable works upon heraldry.



Arms: 1st and 3rd., or., on a saltire engr. az. nine annulets ar, on a canton gules a castle triple-towered of the third (Leake); 2nd and 4th, paly of six or and az. on a chief gules three merlins of the first (Martin).
Crest: A ship gun carriage, on it a piece of ordnance mounted all proper
Motto: Pari Animo
Probably Franks # 17837


Sources: Pratt Libraries Ex Libris Collection
Mark Noble. A history of the College of Arms: and the lives of all the Kings, Heralds, and Pursuivants from the reign of Richard III, founder of the College, until the present time : London, J. Debrett and T. Egerton, 1804
Sir Bernard Burke. The General Armory of England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales, Comprising a Registry of Armorial Bearings from the Earliest to the Present Time, Volume 2, London 1878; reprint, Heritage Books, 2007
E. R. J. Gambier Howe (ed.). Franks bequest. Catalogue of British and American book plates bequeathed to the trustees of the British Museum by Sir Augustus Wollaston Franks, vol. 2, London, British Museum, 1904

Friday, 5 June 2009

Japanese Ex Libris





Miniature Japanese Woodblock Prints in the Collection of Gary and Janet Christenson

An on-line gallery of fine Japanese ex libris in woodblock prints ranging from such famous artists as Gen Yamaguchi, Shigeru Hatsuyama, Takeo Takei, Maseo Maeda, Junichiro Sekino, Shiko Munakata, Kiyoshi Saito and Rokushu Mizufune to Hodaka Yoshida, Haku Maki, Yoshio Kanamori, Sho Kidiokoro, Yuzaburo Kawanishi, Michihiko Ishida and Yasushi Omoto, to name but a few.

Japanese Ex-Libris Stamps from the National Diet Library Collection

The National Diet Library of Japan has an electronic exhibition of Japanese Ex-Libris Stamps under the general title "Memories of Japan", from which we quote:

«Ex-libris ownership stamps were imprinted in books to clearly indicate to
which collection these literary works belonged. They were first seen in China
from where they were brought to Japan. While we can trace Japan's oldest
ex-libris ownership stamps back to the Nara period (710 to 794), we cannot
pinpoint when nor how they were introduced to Japan. In any case, since that
time until the middle of the Edo period (1603 to 1867) they were used by only a
limited number of people such as in temples and shrines and by members of the
privileged classes. However, as books became more common, and as scholars and
persons of letters who collected books grew in number, a wide variety of
ex-libris ownership stamps were produced to satisfy this more widespread
use. »

------------------

«At this writing, the National Diet Library houses about 7.7 million volumes. They were originated from the old collections of the Imperial Diet's House of Peers and House of Representatives, and the Imperial Library's old collection which originated from the book repository established in the fifth year of the Meiji era (1872). Among these collections, some of those of the early collectors have been kept intact, while others have been scattered through the ages and only a few books have reached the shelves of the NDL. We would like to introduce a selection of 30 ex-libris ownership stamps allowing you to sample the historical aspects and charm of the culture of these stamps that are a part of the meticulously kept collection housed at the National Diet Library».

As it can be seen, book ownership stamps derived from China can be traced back in Japan to the Nara period (VIIIth century Christian Era). In Europe, ex libris in print form had to wait for the «invention» of printing by Guttenberg. Till then they were manuscript in the folios of the great monastic or princely libraries.

A testimony of the great cultural heritage of the Japanese civilization and an example of what some western Libraries that hold large bookplate collections should do.