Monday, 29 December 2008
Saturday, 27 December 2008
According to Felipe Teixidor, Ex libris y bibliotecas de México, published in 1931, Ex Libris saw its appearance in Mexico in the XVIIth century with the superlibris stamped in the bindings of the books that belonged to rich Libraries of the Religious Orders। Ex Libris of the colonial period were basically made by Mexican artists and Teixidor in his book analyses over 60 bookplates of the colonial both heraldic and allegorical।
After a long period of decay both in production, collecting and using of ex libris, as it happened elsewhere, the few solitary bookplate lovers remaining in activity kept the flag and in 2000, at the invitation of FISAE, Mexico was present at the FISAE Congress in Boston with three Ex Libris Collections। On the aftermath of the Congress a book by Selva Hernandez Lopez & Mercurio Lopez Casillas Ex libris Mexicanos, Artistas del siglo XX was published by Editorial RM, in 2001.
Finally, this led to the creation in 2004 of the Mexican Ex Libris Association (Asociación Mexicana de Ex Libris ) and of its Website - MEXLIBRIS (in Spanish) and to the organization of The First Inter American Ex Libris Congress, San Miguel 2009, which will be held in February 25 to 28, at San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico, in a partnership of the American Society of Bookplate Collectors & Designers and The Asociación Mexicana de Ex Libris (More...).
Congratulations to the Asociación Mexicana de Ex Libris for its initiatives and best wishes for the forthcoming Congress।
Monday, 13 October 2008
Sir John Hynde Cotton, Bart.
William Stephens sculp. (see, John Blatchy, William Stephens - a prolific Cambridge engraver, in «The Bookplate Journal,» New Series, Vol. 3, nº 1, March 2005, the Bookplate Society).
According to Frank’s, it is probably the bookplate of Sir John Hynde Cotton, of Madingley Hall, 4th Bart (d.1795), an MP for the county of Cambridge twice.
The son of Sir John Hynde Cotton of Madingley Hall, 3rd Bart (b 1686 - 1752), an MP for the town and county of Cambridge, and his first wife Lettice Crowley (d 08.1718) dau of Sir Ambrose Crowley of Greenwich, Sheriff of London.
Sir John married Anne Parsons (d 1769), dau of Humphrey Parson of Reigate, Lord Mayor of London and Sarah, 3rd dau of Sir Ambrose Crowley).
His son Admiral Sir Charles Cotton, 5th Bart, was to be involved in the Peninsular War In 1808 commanding HMS Hibernia at the head of a naval squadron assisting Lord Arthur Wellesley in the expulsion of the French from Portugal and in the surrender of a Russian squadron in the Tagus.
Madlingley Hall was rented by Queen Victoria in 1860’s as a residence for the Prince of Wales while he was studying in Cambridge and after having been sold by the Cotton family, belongs since 1948 to the University of Cambridge (see, http://www.cont-ed.cam.ac.uk/hall/)
Sources: Church of Landwade the burial place of the Cotton family (in Charles Harold Evelyn White, The East Anglian: Or, Notes and Queries on Subjects Connected with the Counties of Suffolk, Cambridge, Essex and Norfolk, S. Tymms, 1864
Catalogue of British & American Book-plates (ex Libris) Collected by the Late Sir Augustus Wollaston Franks..., Ellis, 1906
Thursday, 2 October 2008
John Fleming, 11th Lord Fleming and 6th Earl of Wigtown (c1674 -1744)
John Fleming, 11th Lord Fleming and 6th Earl of Wigtown (c1674 -1744)
On the controversial claim to the title which became dormant after the death without issue of Charles, the 7th Earl in 1747 see, William Anderson, Genealogy and Surnames: With Some Heraldic and Biographical Notices ..., Ritchie, 1865, p. 89
He was the son of Lord William Fleming, 5th Earl of Wigtown (d.1681) and Henrietta Seton, dau of Charles Seton, 2nd Earl of Dunfermline.
Lord John Fleming married 1stly., (1698) Margaret Lindsay, dau of Colin Lindsay, 3rd Earl of Balcarres; and 2ndly. Mary Keith (d 1721), dau of William Keith, 9th Earl Marischal, by whom he had a daughter Lady Clementina Fleming.
His grandfather, John, 3rd Earl, (s. in 1650) was a Royalist and fought for Montrose and both his uncle John, 4th Earl, and his father William, 5th Earl, maintained their family’s ancestral loyalties.
Lord Fleming and his brother Charles who would succeed him as 7th Earl, supported the Jacobites in 1715.
After the latter’s death without sons he was succeeded in the Fleming estates, but not in the title, by his niece Lady Clementina Fleming (1719 - 1799) who married Charles Elphinstone, 10th Lord (1711 - 1781).
F. 10748 – Early Armorial
Arms: Fleming of Biggar quartering Fraser of Oliver Castle
On the controversial claim to the title which became dormant after the death without issue of Charles, the 7th Earl in 1747 see, William Anderson, Genealogy and Surnames: With Some Heraldic and Biographical Notices ..., Ritchie, 1865, p. 89
James Hustler, of Acklam, High Sheriff of
He was he son of Sir William Hustler (1658 – 1730) and Dame Anne Wentworth. His great grandfather and namesake was a cloth merchant of Bridlington who purchased the Acklam Grange in 1637, from Sir Matthew Boynton.
F. 15.820 - Early Armorial (the plate of Sir William Hustler dated 1702, altered)
Arms (as granted to his father in 1727): Argent, on a fess, az., between two martletts, sa., three fleur-de-lis, or.
Crest: A Talbot, sejant, arg., gorged with a collar, az., thereon three fleur-de-lis, or.
According to the Frank's Catalogue Sir James Hustler had another bookplate (F. 15821) with the same inscription but in Jacobean style.
Burke’s Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain and Ireland ..., Harrison, 1858, p. 606;
Walter Hamilton, Dated Book-plates (Ex Libris) with a Treatise on Their Origin and Development: With a Treatise on Their Origin and Development, A. & C. Black, 1895
Wednesday, 1 October 2008
His grand-father was Sir Thomas Hanmer, 2nd Bart of Hanmer (d 1678) also a Royalist who had to live in exile in the Continent during the Civil War and Cromwell’s rule and later became an eminent horticulturist and writer. The latter’s elder son Major General Sir John Hanmer, like many of the English gentry, followed William of Orange and was Colonel of a Regiment that fought for King William III at the Battle of Boyne.
He married 1stly., 1698, Lady Isabella Bennet (1668 - 1722), countess of Arlington, dau. of Henry Bennet, KG (1618 – 1685), 1st earl of Arlington and widow of Henry, earl of Euston and 1st. duke of Grafton, the illegitimate son of Charles II; and 2ndly. Elizabeth Folkes, dau of Thomas Folkes of Barton (who later eloped with Sir Thomas’s cousin, Thomas Harvey (1699-1775), son of the 1st earl of Bristol).
Unlike his father-in-law Lord Arlington, who had been a prominent Royalist, courtier and statesman at the court of Charles II, Sir Thomas was distinguished himself as an Hanoverian Tory.
His sister Susanna Hanmer (d. 1744) was married to Sir Henry Bunbury, 3rd Bart of Stanney Hall, (d. 1732-3). Their second son Sir William Bunbury, 5th Bart (d. 1764) was to inherit Milden Hall in the co. of Suffolk. Lieut. General Sir Henry Edward Bunbury, 7th Bart (1778-1860), the latter’s grandson, who succeeded to the family title on the death of his paternal uncle, published in 1838 the correspondence of Sir Thomas Hanmer.
The Hanmer estates, on Sir Thomas death, were secured by his kinsman Thomas Hanmer of Fenns and his heirs.
He is known for promoting an illustrated edition of Shakespeare Works, in 6 volumes published at Oxford, in 1744. The illustrations were made by Francis Hayman and Hubert Gravelot and engraved by Gravelot.
F. 13622 - Early Armorial dated 1707
Arms: 16 quarters, 1st. and 16th: Argent, two lions passant, guardant, az. (Hanmer) with Bennet on an escutcheon.
Crest: On a chapeau, az., turned up, ermine, a lion guardant, sejant, argent.
Seats: Hanmer Hall and Bettisfield Park co. Flint
Short biography at http://yba.llgc.org.uk/en/s-HANM-HAN-1388.html
Bibliography: Sir Henry Bunbury, Bart. (ed.), The Correspondence of Sir Thomas Hanmer, Bart., Speaker of the House of Commons: With a Memoir of His Life. To which are Added, Other Relicks of a Gentleman's Family, E. Moxon, 1838
Debrett’s The baronetage of England. revised, corrected and continued by G.W. Collen, London, 1840
Thursday, 25 September 2008
Prince William of Orange sent him in several diplomatic missions to England namely, in 1677, to ask the hand of Mary, daughter of James, duke of York which would give him succession rights to the throne of England.
The alliance of some Tory peers and the Whigs against the increasingly unpopular policies of king James II led ultimately led to the invasion of England by the Dutch and the flight into exile of king James II. Lord Bentick played an important role in the preparation of the invasion and in the gathering of support for William’s cause both in England and among foreign powers.
The «Glorious Revolution» having been accomplished with the accession to the throne of William and Mary as joint monarchs, England became a constitutional monarchy with the approval of the English Bill of Rights. The new regime however had to face the «Jacobite» uprisings in Ireland and Scotland till 1745.
William Bentick’s loyalty and dedication to the new dynasty was highly rewarded by the appointment as Groom of the Stole, Privy Counsellor and created Baron Cirencester, Visount Woodstock and Earl of Portland, all in 1689.
He fought at the battles of the Boyne and Landen were he was wounded and in 1697-98, was sent as Ambassador to Paris for negotiations with Louis XIV over the partition of the Spanish monarchy, In 1697 he was installed a Knight of the Garter.
Lord Portland was further rewarded with a very large gift of crown land in Ireland leaving a huge fortune when he died.
Lord Portland was married 1stly. On 1678 Anne Villiers and 2ndly. on 1700, Jane Martha Temple, the widow of the 3rd Baron Berkeley of Stratton.
His eldest son Henry, who succeeded him, was created Marquess of Titchfield and Duke of Portland in 1716.
Arms: Az. a cross moline ar (Bentick) surrounded by a garter with the Order’s motto.
Crest: Out of a marquess’s coronet ppr. two arms couter-embowed, vested gules on the hands, gloves or., each holding an ostrich’s feather ar. for Bentiwck.
Supporters: Two lions, double queued, the Dexter ppr. the Sinister sa.
The bookplate is dated 1704.
Insc.: William Arthur Sixth Duke of Portland, K. G.
Artist: W. P. B.
William was the grandson of Lord [William] Charles Augustus Cavendish-Bentinck, and a great-grandson of the 3rd Duke of Portland, a British Prime Minster. He succeeded to the title when his cousin the 5th Duke of Portland died without heirs in 1879.
The 6th Duke held a number of honours, including Chairman of the First Royal Commission on Horsebreeding, President of the Highland and Agricultural Society of Scotland, and Lord Lieutenant of both Caithness and Nottinghamshire. He was also Provincial Grand Master of the Freemasons for Nottinghamshire, as well as being Chancellor of the Order of the Garter, a trustee of the British Museum and Bailiff Grand Cross of the Order of St John of Jerusalem.
In 1889 he married Winifred Anna Dallas-Yorke (1863-1954), daughter of Thomas Dallas-Yorke.
His passion for horse breeding adn horse racings was proverbial.
see, the bookplate of the 1sr Earl of Portland
British Ambassador to Turkey. The son of General William Earl Bulwer (1757 – 1807), of Heydon Hall, Norfolk, Colonel of the 108th Regiment known as Norfolk Rangers, and Elizabeth Barbara Warburton-Lytton (1798 – 1843)dau. of Richard Warburton-Lytton (1745-1843), of Knebworth House, in Hertfordshire.
He m. Emily Gascoyne dau. of General Gascoyne.
A shield encircled by a garter bearing the motto, with a helmet and crest above.
Arms: gules on a chevron argent between three eagles close reguardant or as many cinquefoils sable [Bulwer].
Crest: a horned wolf’s head erased.
Motto: Adversis major, par secundis
He used another armorial bookplate (F. 4329) bearing Bulwer quartering Earle, Wiggett and Lytton, (J. Warwick, 145 Strand).
He had two famous brothers:
(William) Henry Lytton Earle Bulwer, 1st Baron Dalling and Bulwer, GCB, PC (1801–1872) was a British Liberal politician, diplomat and writer.
A protégé of Lord Palmerston he was successively attaché at Berlin 1827, Vienna 1829, The Hague 1830 and at Paris 1832-33; then he was elected M.P. for Wilton 1830, Coventry 1831-35 and Marylebone 1835-37. Again in the diplomatic service he was Chargé d'affaires, Brussels, 1835-37, Secretary of embassy at Constantinople1837-38, Secretary of embassy at Paris, 1839-43, Minister-Plenipotentiary and Envoy-Extra-ordinary at Madrid, 1843-48, at Washington, 1849-52 and at Florence, 1852-55.
And the youngest, Lord Edward George Earle Bulwer-Lytton (1803-1873), novelist, poet, playwright, and politician, 1st Baron Lytton of Knebworth.
The latter's son also had a bookplate:
Lord Edward Robert Bulwer Lytton (1831-1891) 2nd Baron Lytton, 1st. Earl of Lytton
Diplomat and writer, also known as Owen Meredith.
Lord Robert Lytton married Edith Villiers (1841-1936), dau. of Edward Villiers and Elizabeth Liddell, Lady-in-Waiting to Queens Victoria and Alexandra and niece of Lord Clarendon.
Lord Lytton in 1866 was secretary of the British Legation in Lisbon where he returned in 1874 as Minister. From 1876 to 1880 he was Viceroy and Governor-General of India appointed by Disraeli and in 1887 was appointed British Ambassador to France till his death in 1891.
See, Knebworth House at http://www.knebworthhouse.com/history/19_20century.html
Wednesday, 24 September 2008
Richard Wellesley was the eldest son of Garret Wesley, 1st Earl of Mornington (1735-1781) and the Hon. Anne Hill-Trevor, eldest daughter of the banker Arthur Hill-Trevor, 1st Lord Dungannon.
His also distinguished brothers were the Hon. William Wellesley-Pole, 1st Baron Maryborough (1763–1845), Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852) and Henry Wellesley, 1st Baron Cowley (1773 – 1847).
William Pitt, the Younger, of whom Lord Mornington was a staunch supporter, appointed him Lord of the Treasury in 1784 and later, in 1797, Governor-General of India. Under his rule which lasted till 1805, British power in India was rapidly extended by fighting and defeating the French and their allies namely, the Nizam of Hyderabad and Tippoo Sultan and by submitting the Maratha and all other princes, virtually laying the basis of the British Imperial rule in India.
In 1783, on the foundation of the The Most Illustrious Order of Saint Patrick, king Geoge III made Lord Mornington a Knight and in 1799 was made Marquess of Wellesley in the Peerage of Ireland.
In 1809, during the Peninsular War, Lord Wellesley was appointed ambassador to Spain and in December, following the resignation of George Canning which led to the fall of the Duke of Portland’s Cabinet, became Foreign Secretary, under Spencer Perceval, till he was succeeded by Castlereagh in 1812.
Lord Wellesley was an advocate of Catholic Emancipation, a critic of the Congress of Vienna and the European settlement that came out of it, namely the destruction of the Republic of Venice and the partition of Poland.
In 1821, he was appointed Lord Lieutenant of Ireland and favoring Catholic emancipation, the excesses of the Orange faction were firmly repressed. In 1828, Lord Mornington resigned upon his brother, Lord Wellington, who opposed Catholic emancipation, having become Prime Minister.
Through their third child Reverend Charles William Frederick Cavendish-Bentinck (1817- 1865) they were the grand-parents of H.M. the Queen Mother and through their younger son Lt.-Gen. Arthur Cavendish-Bentinck (1819 - 1877) m. to Elizabeth Sophia Hawkins-Whitshed they were the grand parents of William Cavendish-Bentinck, 6th Duke of Portland.
Crests – 1st., out of a ducal coronet or, a demi-lion gu. holding a banner purp. charged with an etoile, radiated, wavy, surmounted by a pennon ar., charged with the crown of St. George. A motto over this crest, Porro unum est necessarium; 2nd., a cubit arm, erect, vested…enfiled with a ducal coronet…, cuff…, holding a staff, bendways. Motto over this crest Virtutis fortuna comes.
Tuesday, 23 September 2008
Arms: Broughton (?) impaling Hill (Barons of Berwick, of Attingham)
Dau. of Thomas Hill, of Tern co. Salop, and of his 2nd wife Susan-Maria Noel, co-heir of William Noel Judge of the Common Pleas.
She m. 1stly. Sir Bryan Broughton-Delves, 5th baronet (1740-1766), the son of Sir Brian Broughton-Delves, 4th Baronet (1717–1744); m. 2ndly. Henry Errington of Redrice, co. Southampton
Lady Mary was the sister of Thomas Noel-Hill, Baron Berwick, of Attingham, co. Salop. (cr. 1784).
Apparently Lady Mary used another bookplate after her marriage to Henry Errington (see, F. 3835 – Arms: Errington impalling Hill.
Sources: Edmund Lodge, The Genealogy of the Existing British Peerage and Baronetage, 1859, p. 92
Arms: Bunbury quartering Hanmer, North and ......, impaling Horner.
Motto: Esse Quam Videri
This bookplate was most probably made after Sir Charles succeeded his father in the Baronetcy, in 1860.
He was the son of Lt.-Gen. Sir Henry Edward Bunbury, (1778-1860), 7th Bt. and Louisa Emilia Fox dau. of General the Hon. Henry Edward Fox (1771-1811) who was the younger brother of Charles James Fox.
His aunt Caroline Amelia Fox was m. to Lt.-Gen. Sir William Francis Patrick Napier, who fought in the Peninsular War and wrote History of the war in the peninsula and in the south of France : from the year 1807 to the year 1814. His brother was Lieut. General Sir George Thomas Napier (1784-1855), also a veteran from the Peninsular War and Commander-in-Chief of the Army in the Cape Colony.
He married Frances Joanna Horner, daughter of Leonard Horner, on 31 May 1844 whose elder sister Mary Horner was married to the geologist Charles Lyell.
A famous botanist and plant collector, accompanied Lieutenant-General Sir George Napier to Cape of Good Hope in 1837, elected to the Royal Society in 1851, author of numerous papers on Geographical Botany and on Fossil Plants.
Published Journal of a Residence at the Cape of Good Hope in 1848; and Botanical Fragments in 1883, botanical observations made in South Africa & South America. His wife published Life, Letters, and Journals of Sir Charles J.F. Bunbury, Bart., edited by Frances Joanna Bunbury, 3 vols., London 1894.
In 1833-35 he visited Argentina Uruguay and Brazil travelling from from Rio de Janeiro to Minas Gerais where his uncle Henry Fox - an amateur botanist - was H.M. Minister (see, Sir Charles James Fox Bunbury, Brazil, Account of a Journey in Brazil in 1833-35, and Portuguese translation, Narrativa de viagem de um naturalista ingles ao Rio de Janeiro e Minas Gerais, 1833-35, Imprensa Nacional: Rio de Janeiro, 1943).
In 1853-54 he travelled to Madeira where he also collected a herbarium.
Sir Charles brother, who would succeed him as the 8th Bart., Sir Edward Herbert Bunbury was also a member of parliament, a well known geographer and archaeologist, and author of a History of Ancient Geography. Their younger brother Colonel Henry William St Pierre Bunbury, soldier, author and politician and an explorer in Western Australia.
Another bookplate is known to have been used by Sir Charles bearing the Bunbury crest but not reported by in the Frank’s collection.
See also F. 4336 F. 4337 – Bookplates of his father Lt.-General Sir Henry Edward Bunbury, 7th Bart, with different arms, the first Bunbury impalling Fox and the second made after his 2nd m. (1830) to Emily Louisa Napier, Bunbury impalling Napier quartering Scot.
Monday, 22 September 2008
The son of Sir Alexander Campbell of Cawdor (d. 1697) and of Elizabeth Lort (1665- who inherited the Stackpole estate upon her brother’s death in 1698.
A supporter of the Hanoverian Succession he married in 1726 Mary, daughter and co-heiress of Lewis Pryse of Gogerddan, in Cardiganshire, a Jacobite sympathiser.
His eldest son Pryse Campbell having predeceased him, he was succeeded by his grandson John Campbell (1755-1821) M.P. and a supporter of Lord North and later of the younger Pitt's war policy. In 1789 he married Isabella Caroline, eldest daughter of Frederick Howard, 5th Earl of Carlisle, by Margaret Caroline, daughter of Granville Leveson-Gower, 1st Marquess of Stafford. by whom he had two sons, John Frederick, and George, who became an admiral. It was probably through his support of Pitt that he was created Baron Cawdor of Castlemartin in 1796.
His great grandson John Frederick Campbell, 2nd Baron Cawdor of Castlemartin was created 1st Viscount Emlyn of Emlyn (1827) and 1st Earl Cawdor of Castlemartin (1827).
Another Scottish Family, an offspring of the clan Argyll, who settled for several generations in Wales owing to the inheritance of large estates there, before returning to Scotland.
Arms: Quarterly; 1 - or a stag’s head cabossed sable attired gules (Canhlder) ; 2 - gyronny of eight or and sable (Campbell); 3 - argent a lymphad, oars in action, sable (Lorn); 4 - per fess azure and gules a corss or; over all a shield of pretence or a lion rampant regardant sable (Lort of Stackpoole Court). On an escutcheon of pretence Pryse of Gogirthen.
Crest: a swan proper ducally crowned
Motto: Be mindful
- http://members.lycos.co.uk/John_Richards/estate.htm - A short history of Satckpole
- http://www.terrynorm.ic24.net/dynevor%20cawdor.htm Cawdor’s of South Wales
- http://www.scotsconnection.com/clan_crests/Campbell%20of%20Cawdor.htm Clan Campbell of Cawdor
Monday, 8 September 2008
Thursday, 31 July 2008
He served in the Peninsular War, arriving in Portugal in 1809, as a Lieutenant of the 16th Light Dragoons Regiment, under the command of Lord Cambermere. He was present at Albergaria, Grijó and in the pursuit of the French Army under Marshall Soult on their flight to Salamonde.
At the battle of Talavera he commanded the united skirmishers of the 14th, 16th and 23rd Light Dragoons and of the 1st German Hussars of the 2nd Cavalry Brigade under the command of Brigadier General Stapleton Cotton.
In 1810 was promoted a Captain of the Portuguese Army by Marshall Beresford serving as Aide-de-Camp of General Fane commander of a Brigade attached to the Hill Division on the retreat to the Lines of Torres Vedras and operations thereafter.
As a Major, he then served as aide de camp of General Benjamin d’Urban, commander of the Portuguese Cavalry Brigade.
At the battle of Vitória he commanded the cavalry charge that ended French resistance, having attracted the attention of Lord Wellington.
At the end of the war, in 1815, Owen entered the service of the Portuguese Army as a Lieutenant Colonel of the 6th Chaves Dragoons Regiment.
But, by this time the 1820 Revolution had taken place and the Provisional Junta had dismissed Marshall Sir William Beresford and all British Officers in the Portuguese Army.
For his services during the Peninsular War he was made a Knight of the Order of the Tower and Sword and a Commander of the Order of St. Benedict of Avis. Awarded also the Army Gold Cross and the Peninsular Military General Service Medal with 4 clasps for Talavera, Albuera, Vittoria and Pyrenees and three Spanish medals.
In 1832, at the start of the Civil War he lived at Oporto then taken by the troops led by D. Pedro, duke of Braganza who immediately invited him the command the Cavalry as a General. Col. Owen refused being a British citizen and obeying the instructions from H.M. Government. But during the siege of Oporto by D. Miguel’s army he gave his collaboration to D. Pedro.
He published his memoirs of that period - The Civil War in Portugal: And the Siege of Oporto, London, E. Moxon, 1836, of which there was a Portuguese edition - O Cerco do Porto contado por uma Testemunha - O Coronel Owen, Porto 1915.
In 1856 he returned to Britain leaving behind his wife and children.
In his bookplate Colonel Hugh Owen bears pending from his arms the insignia of the Order of the Tower and Sword and its motto - «Valor e Lealdade». In the first and second quarters his other medals are shown.
Monday, 28 July 2008
The son of Roger Pratt of Ryston, Sheriff (d 1771) and Henrietta Davers, dau of Sir Robert Davers, Bart. Married Blanche Astley, dau of Sir Jacob Astley, Bart of Melton Constable.
Arms: argent, on a chevron sable between three ogresses charged in chief with martlets of the first and in base with a trefoil argent, as many mascles or.
Tuesday, 22 July 2008
Gilles Germain Richard de Ruffey (1706 - 1794), seigneur de Ruffey sous Beaune, de Vesvrotte, de Trouhans, du Martray et de Crilloire en Anjou.
Richard de Ruffey - Président à la Chambre des comptes de Bourgogne and élu du Roi aux États de Bourgogne, was a passionate numismate and known as a man of culture and a bibliophile having formed a rich library.
Married in 1739 Anne Claude de La Forest.
In 1759 he was elected président de l'Académie de Dijon.
His daughter Marie Thérèse Sophie (b. 1754-1789), marquise de Monnier by marriage (1771) was famous by being the lover of Mirabeau with whom she eloped to Geneva and then to Holland (see, Memoirs of Mirabeau: Biographical, Literary, and Political…, London, E. Churton, 1835).
His elder son Frédéric-Henri Richard de Ruffey, président au Parlement de Bourgogne till its dissolution by the Revolutionary Assembly in 1790, was arrested and imprisoned during the Revolution accused of being an émigré and a Royalist and executed in 1794.
Arms: Azure, on a chief or three bezants gules.
Supporters: Two eagles proper with a marquess’ crown
Motto: Quo Justior, Eo Editior
Legend: «Ex Libris Dni. Richard de Ruffey, Regi à Conciliis. Ejusquè in generalibus Burgundiae Comitiis Electi perpetui»
Artist: Copper engraving by Jean-Baptiste Scotin (b. 1678- d. aft. 1733) who belonged to dynasty of notable engravers.
Léon Quantin, Ex-Libris Bourguignons, Paris, 1907, page 49 ;
Biographie universelle, ancienne et moderne, ouvrage rédigé par une société ..., Tome Quatre-Vingtième, Paris, L. G. Michaud, 1847, pp. 135-141
Paul Cottin, Sophie de Monnier et Mirabeau d'àprès leur correspondance secrète inédite…, Paris, 1903
Monday, 21 July 2008
The grandson of a needle merchant established at Lyon, he laid the foundations of the family’s social uprising by acquiring the fortified mansion of La Tourette, in 1681, from Jean Michon, bourgeois of Lyon, and by becoming an échevin (municipal magistrate) of the city of Lyon in 1689-90 and later obtained the office of secrétaire du roi, maison et couronne de France et de ses finances en la généralité de Lyon. The alliance between the two families was consolidated by the marriage of the latter’s daughter Bonne Michon to Jean’s son Jacques Claude Claret, in 1690.
The above superlibris is believed to have been used in his books.
Jacques-Annibal Claret Fleurieu de La Tourrette (1692-1776), Knight, baron d’Evreux, seigneur de La Tourette and Fleurieu.
A grandson of the above mentioned Jean Claret and the son of Jacques Claude Claret (1656-1741), Knight, seigneur de la Tourette, Fleurieu, Saint-Pierre, Eveux, Bélair, etc. Président à la Cour des Monnaies and his wife Bonne Michon, dau. of Jean Michon, a wealthy bourgeois merchant of Lyon who detained the fief of La Tourrette. His father was a patron of the Arts who built a valuable collection of paintings, books and numismatic.
In 1716, Jacques-Annibal Claret Fleurieu was admitted to the Academy of Lyon, becoming in 1736 its secretary for life. Having inherited his father’s love for books he greatly augmented the Library, reputed as one of the richest private libraries in Lyon, famous for its fine bindings and rare editions. Left many works in prose and verse unpublished.
Arms: argent, on a bend azure, a sun in his splendour or.
A shield supported by two eagles proper, with an earl's crown.
Legend: «Ex Libris Jacobi Annibalis Claret Delatourrette Equitis, Regi à consiliis in Supremâ Lugdunensi mon etalium Judicum curia praesidis, capitalium rerum Pratoris Primarii. 1719»
The Bibliothèque Municipale de Lyon holds however books in which appear bookplates dated «1740».
Charles-Pierre Claret de Fleurieu (1738-1810), comte de Fleurieu
A famous French statesman and scientist interested in the theoretical study of the nautical sciences.
The younger son of Jacques-Annibal Claret Fleurieu de La Tourrette, he entered the French Royal Navy becoming a distinguished Officer. In 1777, Fleurieu was appointed directeur des ports et arsenaux (inspector general of ports and navy yards) and from 1778 till 1783 he elaborated all the plans for the naval war against England, to assist the struggle for the independence of the United States.
In 1790, Louis XVI appointed him Minister of the Navy and Colonies but under pressures from the Jacobins at the Assemblée, he soon presented his resignation to the King. However, as a proof of his esteem, Louis XVI appointed Fleurieu, gouverneur du Prince-Royal - the future Louis XVII.
During the Terror he was imprisoned till the 9 Thermidor having lost all his fortune and properties. Under the Directory he was appointed to the Bureau des Longitudes and to the Institut and elected a member of the Conseil des Anciens in 1797.
In 1800, Bonaparte called him to the council of state and appointed him as Minister Plenipotentiary for the signature of the treaty ceding Louisiana to the United States.
In 1804 he became Intendant général de la maison de l'Empereur, governor of the Tuileries and the Louvre, grand officer of the Légion d’Honneur, a senator, in 1806, and was made a count of the Empire.
Napoleon honoured him ordering a national funeral and his burial at the Panthéon.
His Library and geographical collections were sold in an auction in 1798 (see, Catalogue des livres de la bibliothèque du C.***, dont la vente se fera en la maison d’agence et de commerce des citoyens Mauger, Amelot et Hubert, rue des Fossés-Montmartre, n° 4, le tridi 23 Prairial an VI et jours suivans, à cinq heures précises du soir., Paris, Hubert – Mauger, 1798)
Between 1793-98, he published many works on his travels, nautical sciences, the French Discoveries, hydrography, geography, botany and atlases.
Robert de Saint-Loup, Dictionnaire de La Noblesse Consulaire de Lyon, Versailles, Mémoires et Documents, 2004
Sylvain Claret de Fleurieu, Histoire de la Famille Fleurieu
Pierre Forissier, Les Claret de Fleurieu, seigneurs de la Tourette – Une grande famille d’Evreux
Saturday, 19 July 2008
Major-General Sir Robert John HARVEY, CB, KTS, FRS, FAS (1785-1860), of Mousehold House, Norwich
The son of John Harvey, Esq,, of Thorpe Lodge, Norfolk and Frances Kerrinson, daughter of Sir Roger Kerrinson, of Brooke House. In 1815, he married his distant cousin Charlotte Mary, dau. of Robert Harvey, Esq., of Watton.
In the expedition sent to Portugal in March 1809, under the command of Major-General Lord Hill, he served as a Captain of the 53rd Foot Regiment. In 1810, he was made a Major and appointed Assistant-Quarter-Master-General of the Portuguese Army attached to the Headquarters of the Portuguese Army’s Commander-in-Chief - Marshall William Carr Beresford. In 1811, Beresford appointed him to General-Headquarters of Marshall Lord Wellington – Commander-in-Chief of the Allied Forces, as a liaison Officer with the Portuguese troops in the field and as Chief of the Staff of the Portuguese Army, in his absence. He remained in this position till the end of the war in 1814.
During the first years of the War his services were particularly relevant in organizing nine Portuguese Guerrilla Corps, the Ordenanças and in intelligence services owing to his superior linguist abilities and perfect domain of the French and German languages.
He was present namely, at the battles of Oporto, Buçaco, Salamanca, Vitoria, Pyrenees, Nive, Nivelle, Orthez, Toulouse and in the sieges of Ciudad Rodrigo, Burgos, Badajoz and San Sebastian. After the capture of Badajoz (April 1812) Harvey was made a Lieutenant-Colonel in the Portuguese Army. After Salamanca and Vitória, Harvey was promoted a Lieutenant-Colonel in the British Army, on the recommendation of Lord Wellington.
For his distinguished services in the Peninsular War he was made by the King of Portugal a knight of the Order of the Tower and Sword (British Royal Warrant of May 1816). The Prince Regent awarded him a knighthood, in February, 6th, 1817,  and in 1831 he was made a Companion of the Order of the Bath.
In an engraved portrait of 1821, by Charles Knight, he proudly bears his Portuguese decorations – the Peninsular War Campaign Cross (6 campaigns), the insignia of a Knight of the Order of the Tower and Sword and the rare Commander’s Medal of the Peninsular War (10 campaigns) -, and the Army Gold Medal (Orthez). The absence of the insignia of the order of Avis means that the award was made after that date, also for services in the Peninsular War.
The bookplate bears the arms of Harvey of Thorpe with Harvey on an escutcheon, with several augmentations of honour:
Arms: Erminois on a chief indented gules between two crescents argent, the Army Gold Medal awarded by the Prince Regent for his services at the Battle of Orthes, a canton ermine charged with the badge of a Knight of the Order of the Tower and Sword.
Crest: Over a dexter cubit arm, erect, ppr., a crescent arg. between two branches of laurel also ppr., with the augmentation of a mural crown or, out of which the arm is issuant.
Motto: Alteri si Tibi.
The bookplate also shows the badge of the Order of the Tower and Sword pending with a ribbon from the shield, which only occurs with few British recipients of the Order, founded in Brazil in 1808. It proves how highly Sir Robert John Harvey esteemed this award.
Sir Robert J. Harvey used yet another armorial bookplate in stencil, bearing also pending from the shield the cross of the Order of Avis of which he was a knight commander.
According to the Catalogue of the Franks Collection of Bookplates, Sir Robert Harvey’s father – John Harvey, Esq. also used an armorial spade shield bookplate with Harvey impalling Kerrinson .
Thanks are due to our good friend Paulo Estrela for his valuable help in clarifying Sir Robert J. Harvey’s Peninsular War decorations and in calling our attention to the fact that those decorations were sadly dispersed, sold in auctions namely, at Christie’s (24.04.92) and at Spink’s (25.09.01).
 For a more detailed account of his military career, namely in the Peninsular War see, the Obituary published in «The Gentleman's Magazine», London, 1860, pp. 191-193
 H G Hart, Hart's Annual Army List, Militia List, and Imperial Yeomanry List, J. Murray, 1845, p. 26
 Francis Townsend, Calendar of Knights: Containing Lists of Knights Bachelors, British Knights of Foreign Orders ..., W. Pickering, 1828, pp. 30 and 92
 See, Franks Collection Catalogue, # 14013, vol. 2, p. 29.
 John Burke & John Bernard Burke, The Knightage of Great Britain and Ireland, London, 1841, pp. 169-170 and Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry, Vol 1, London, Henry Colburn, 1847, p. 544
 John Blatchly, Elegant Economy: the stencilled ex-libris, in «The Bookplate Journal», Vol. 4, #1, March 2006, p.37; referring the Order of Avis, see, Hart’s, ibidem, p. 471
 Ibidem, # 14002
Monday, 14 July 2008
He was the second son of Thomas Western (1735 -1781), of Walcot Church, Bath and of Jane Calvert. Married Mary Burch (1777 – 1856), born in Bermudas, West Indies.
The trophy armorial bookplate bears the badge of the Order of the Tower and Sword pending from the shield (badly represented since the star should have seven rays).
During the Portuguese Royal Family voyage to Brazil, avoiding Napoleon’s invading troops, escorted by a Squadron of the British Royal Navy, under the command of Commodore Moore, the then Captain T. Western commanded H.M.S. London.
On December 17th, 1808, on the Queen’s birthday, the Prince Regent Dom João granted Captain Western the class of Commander of the newly reinstituted Order of the Tower and Sword.
According to Francis Townsend, Rear-Admiral Thomas Western only received the Royal Licence to accept the decoration on August, 26th, 1814, few months before he died[i].
See, the Order of the Tower and Sword – II Centenary (1808 – 2008)
Contra-Almirante Thomas WESTERN (1761-1814), de Tattingston Place, co. Suffolk, propriedade herdada em 1808 de Thomas White primo de seu pai.
Filho segundogénito de Thomas WESTERN (1735-1781) de Walcot Church, Bath e de Jane CALVERT. Foi casado com Mary BURCH (1777-1856) n. nas Bermudas, Índias Orientais.
O ex-líbris com as armas do titular, e rodeado de troféus, ostenta as insígnias da Ordem de Torre e Espada (mal representadas, uma vez que a placa deveria ter uma estrela de seis raios).
O então Capitão Thomas Western comandava o navio «London», que integrava a esquadra Inglesa, sob o comando do Comodoro Moore, que escoltou a Família Real na sua viagem para o Brasil.
Recebeu a Ordem da Torre e Espada, no grau de comendador, em 17 de Dezembro de 1808.
Ver A ordem da Torre e Espada – II Centenário (1808 – 2008)
Paul Latchan, Bookplates in the Trophy Style, London, The Bookplate Society, 2006, plate #244, p 158.
[i] Cf. Calendar of Knights: Containing Lists of Knights Bachelors, British Knights of Foreign Orders ...: London, W. Pickering, 1826
Sir Rutherford Alcock, K.C.B., D.C.L.,F.R.G.S. (1809-1897)
After the death fo King John VI, in 1826, Portugal was ravaged by a Civil War between (1828-1834) opposing the proclaimed King, Dom Miguel I and the Liberals, led by Dom Pedro, duke fo Braganza, former Emperor of Brazil and for a short while King of Portugal. Dom Pedro gave a Constitutional Chart to the nation and abdicated the crown on his daughter D. Maria II, backed by Great Britain with the condition that she should marry his younger brother D. Miguel then exiled in Vienna. The prince at first complied and swore the new Constitution, but soon after with the support of the conservative forces called the ancient Cortes and was proclaimed King. The Liberals were prosecuted, emprisoned, some executed and others fled into exile, mainly to England.
Engraving by Daumier, 1833 (BNL)
When the Liberal forces disembarked in the North of Portugal taking the city of Oporto they were assisted by a Battalion composed of British Volunteers, under the comand of Lieut.-Colonel G. Lloyd Hodges ((1792-1862) and whose action was so important for the outcome of the war in 1834.
Among those Britons, was the young Doctor Rutherford Alcock, a Brigade Surgeon, who served throughout the civil war with bravery and distinction assisting the wounded and curing the sick amongst many difficulties.After the end of the Civil War, Doctor R. Alcock was made a Knight of the Order of the Tower and Sword (founded in 1808 and reformed in 1832 by Dom Pedro, duke of Braganza) by Royal Decree of Queen D. Maria II, of May, 30th, 1835. The decree mentions Doctor Alcock's relevant services assisting the wounded under fire and the 6 wounds received during the battle of Lordelo, on July 25th, 1833 (*).
Other British Officers like Col. G. Lloyd Hodges KC TS (who later resigned and returned the order), Major Charles Shaw, Major Staunton (later killed in action) and Lieut. Mitchell, had received the Order of the Tower and Sword during the Civil War.After the end of the war in Portugal, Doctor Alcock joined as a Surgeon the Naval Brigade who fought in Spain (1836) during the Carlist War.
Leaving the medical profession he was appointed British Consul at Fuchow and later in Shangai, in China and in 1858, he was appointed consul-general in the empire of Japan, and one year later was promoted to be Minister Plenipotentiary.In 1865 he was appointed Minister to Pekin till he retired in 1871. He was also President of the Royal Geographical Society (1876-1878).
His activity as Envoy to Japan has been masterly discussed by Ambassador Sir Hugh Cortazzi, Sir Rutherford Alcock, the first British minister to Japan 1859-1864: a reassessment, «Transactions of the Asiatic Society of Japan»(4th series) 8, 1994, pp. 1-42.
Keen of oriental art, specially Chinese and Japanese, Sir Rutherford Alcock wrote Art and Art Industries in Japan, London, Virtue & Co, 1878 and Notes on the Medical History of the British Legion of Spain (1838), Elements of Japanese Grammar (1861); The Capital of the Tycoon (1863) and Familiar Dialogues in Japanese (1863).
Portrait at http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-an22410574
The bookplate bears the insignia of the Orders of Bath, Isabel, a Católica (Spain) and the Tower and of the Sword (Portugal) and it must have been made (or altered) after 1860, date in which he was made a CB.
This bookplate is particularly interesting since there are few British members of Portuguese Orders, namely the order of the Tower and Sword (f. 1808 and reformed 1832) who proudly bore the order's insignia in their armorial bearings.
Apparently, Doctor Alcock used another bookplate with the same arms but with his initials.
Doctor Alcock's presence in Portugal at Oporto explains the presence of his bookplate in Portuguese collections.
See, G. Lloyd Hodges, Narrative of the Expedtition to Portugal in 1832, Under the Orders of His Imperial Majesty Dom Pedro, Duke fo Braganza, 2 vols., London, James Fraser, 1833;
Col. Hugh Owen, The Civil War in Portugal: And the Siege of Oporto, London, E. Moxon, 1836); Charles Shaw, Personal Memoirs and Correspondence of Colonel Charles Shaw: Comprising a ... , 2 vols., London, H. Colburn, 1837; Thomas Knight, The British Battalion at Oporto: With Adventures, Anecdotes, and Exploits in ..., London, 1834.
See also, an interesting article by Anna Jackson on the The Victorian Vision of China and Japan where Sir Rutherford Alcock’s oriental collection contribute to the the London International Exhibition of 1862 is discussed.
Biography http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutherford_Alcock; and for the military carrer see, Prof. Kaufman's: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=15682225&dopt=Abstract
Further reading: MICHIE, Alexander., THE ENGLISHMAN IN CHINA DURING THE VICTORIAN ERA: As As Illustrated in the Career of Sir Rutherford Alcock, K.C.B D.C.L. Many Years Consul & Minister in China & Japan, London 1900, and at http://88.1911encyclopedia.org/A/AL/ALCOCK_SIR_RUTHERFORD.htm
(*) Special thanks are due to my dear friend Paulo Estrela, a keen researcher and author on Phaleristics, for letting me know the documents referring the award of the Order of the Tower and Sword to Doctor Rutherford Alcock.
Posted November 6th, 2006
Text reviewed July 2008