Wednesday, 29 November 2006

Ercole Sfrondati (1771-1773)

Count Della Riviera Sfrondati

Circa 1750

Gelli, p. 431
The Sfrondati assumed great power with Emperor Charles V.

D. Simão da Gama, bishop of Algarve

D. Simão da Gama, Bishop of the Algarve (1642-1715)
The thid son of D. Vasco Luís da Gama, 5th Earl of Vidigueira and 1st Marquess of Niza and a descendant of the famous Admiral Dom Vasco da Gama who made the first travel by sea through the Cape to India he studied Theology and Philosophy at the University of Coimbra of which he became the Dean from 1679 till his consecration as bishop of the Algarve (1685-1703), under the patronage of King D. Pedro II.
In 1703 he was elected archbishop of Évora and a year later was appointed to the Council of State having left his See and established residence in Lisbon.

Copper engraving (C2)
Size: 107mm x 132mm

Arms - Gama (from Admiral D. Vasco da Gama, 1st. Count of Vidigueira). Crest – Gama. Overall an escutcheon with the ancient arms of Portugal (augmentation of honour conferred, in 1500, by King D. Manuel I, to Admiral Dom Vasco da Gama after the return from his first voyage to India, in 1498)

The bookplate must have been made after 1685 and before 1703, due to the bishop's heraldic galero with six tassels on each side

Marquess of Sande (1620-1667)

Francisco de Melo e Torres, 1st. Conde da Ponte and 1st. Marquês de Sande
(Cr. Count of Ponte 1661 and Marquess of Sande (1662)
Copper engraving
Size: 58x63
Arms: Torres impalling Melo.
He was one of the nobleman that took part in the revolt that overthrew the Spanish rule and ended 60 years of Habsburg domination, on December, 1st, 1640, acclaiming John, Duke of Braganza as the rightful King of Portugal.
During the War with Spain that followed, he commanded a Terço at the battle of Montijo (1644), becoming Governor of Olivença and General of Artillery. During Queen D. Luísa de Gusmão’s Regency, he begun a brilliant diplomatic career praised by Lord Clarendon.
Sent to England in 1657, he signed a treaty (which was never ratified), in 1660, by which Portugal was allowed to recruit soldiers in England and buy horses and weapons in the Commonwealth. After the restoration he remained in England, being the first foreign Ambassador to have been received in audience by King Charles II.
He signed the marriage contract between the King Charles II and princess Catherine of Braganza (1638-1705), daughter of King John VI of Portugal, by which Portugal was to give Britain Tangiers, in Morocco and Bombay, in India, securing the British alliance to the cause of the restored dynasty.
In 1662, the new Queen left Lisbon accompanied by the Marquess of Sande in a fleet under the command of the Earl of Sandwich, arriving at Portsmouth on May 24th where she was received by the Duke of York.
While Ambassador at the court of Louis XIV, King of France, he was involved in the negotiations for the marriage of King D. Afonso VI (brother of Queen Catherine of Braganza) with the Grande Demoiselle. Having this project failed due to the prospective bride’s opposition, the Duke of Guise reminded the Count da Ponte, Mademoiselle of Nemours and of Aumale (1646-1683). The new bride-to-be was well accepted in Lisbon and the marriage was celebrated at La Rochelle, in March 1666, having the Ambassador Marquess of Sande represented the King of Portugal.
The Queen then embarked in a French fleet under the command of her uncle the Duke of Beaufort accompanied by the Portuguese Ambassador having arrived to Lisbon in August 1666.
Two years later a coup d’état led by the Queen and her brother-in-law prince Dom Pedro took place declaring the King mad and forcing to abdicate power in favour of his younger brother who was declared regent. Then invoking that her marriage was never consummated the marriage was annulled and she married her brother-in-law the future King D. Pedro II.
The Marquess was treacherously murdered in 1667 when returning home form the Royal Chapel.

Tuesday, 28 November 2006

Château de Farceaux - Le Couteulx de Canteleu

Château de Farceaux, near Andelys

Arms: D'argent au chevron de gueules, accompagné de trois trèfles de sinople
C2, 122 X 82 mm, early XIXth c.

This bookplate belonged most probably to Jean-Barthélémy Le Couteulx de Canteleu (1746-1818), Comte de Fresnelles.

He was the son of Barthélémy Thomas Le Couteulx de La Noraye (1714-1791), Seigneur of Farceaux and Suzey, conseiller at the Parlement of Rouen (1739), and Marie Catherine Garnier, dau. of a rich merchant Philippe Garnier.
His grandfather Barthélémy Le Couteulx (1695-1757) from the city of Rouen was given lettres de noblesse in 1756.
He married 1stly, his cousin Anne le Couteulx de Verclives and after her death, Catherine Formont-Cleroude de Sermontot.
A Free Mason and a rich merchant, Jean-Barthélémy bought the Castle of Cateleu and was elected député du Tiers-Etat to the revolutionary parliament (États Généraux) in April 1789 representing Rouen. However, like many others, during the Terror he was imprisoned for two years.
Close to the First Consul General Napoleon Bonaparte he was appointed «regent» of the Banque de France (1800-1804).
Napoleon created him Comte de Fresnelles in 1808 and at the Restoration he was created Comte Le Couteulx de Canteleu (1817). He was one of the Empire dignitaries to attend the marriage of the new Emperor Napoleon with Marie-Louise of Austria, at Notre-Dame Cathedral.

Monday, 27 November 2006

Bookplate of Manuel Severim de Faria, (1583-1655)

Artist: A. Paulus (c. 1624)

C2 (79x94)

Arms: Impaled: I - Severim; II - Faria.

It is the same engraving that was used for the frontispiece of his Discursos varios políticos, published at Évora in 1624.

Manuel Severim de Faria, Canon of the See of Évora, was a humanist, a prolific writer and a pioneer of modern journalism.
Among his works:
Notícias de Portugal / escritas por Manoel Severim de Faria.... - 2ª Impressão / acrescentadas pelo Padre D. José Barbosa. - Lisboa Occidental : na Off. de Antonio Isidoro da Fonseca, 1740; modern edition Notícias de Portugal, Introd., actualização e notas de Francisco A. Lourenço Vaz, Colibri Eds., Lisboa, 2003
Discursos varios politicos / por Manoel Severim de Faria Chantre, & Conego na Santa Sê de Euora . - Em Euora : impressos por Manoel Carvalho, impressor da Vniversidade, 1624, with a famous portrait of Luís de Camões; modern ed. Discursos Vários Políticos, Lisboa, Imprensa Nacional – Casa da Moeda, 1999
Luís de Camões __ Lusíadas..., comentados por Manuel de Faria e Sousa, Lisboa, Imprensa Nacional-Casa da Moeda, 1972 (Ed. facsimilada da de Madrid, por Ivan Sanchez, 1639);
Luís de Camões __ Rimas Várias […] comentadas por Manuel de Faria e Sousa […] Lisboa, Imprensa Nacional-Casa da Moeda, 1972 (Ed. facsimilada da de Lisboa, en la Imprenta de Theotonio Damaso de Melo […] Año de 1685).
He was also a genealogist having left a manuscript Nobiliary which is today at National Library of Lisbon.

Barão de Vasconcelos (XIXth c.)

José Smith de Vasconcelos, 1st baron of Vasconcelos (Lisbon 1817-Rio de Janeiro 1903)

Cr. a baron in Portugal in 1863, by King D. Luís I of Portugal

He was the son of José Inácio Pais Pinto de Sousa e Vasconcelos (b. 1767) and Mary Martha Tustin Smith (b.1784), from Worcester, England.
He married in 1837 Francisca Carolina Mendes da Cruz Guimarães (b.1814)

He immigrated to Brazil in 1831 and became a merchant and a trader exporting to England, Hamburg and the USA, at Fortaleza.

Probably due to his English ancestry he was an abolitionist and gave the example freeing many of his slaves long before the law of abolition of slavery was approved in the Empire of Brazil.
He was vice-consul of Sweden and Norway, of the Free City of Hamburg and consular agent of the USA, at Ceará.
He was a Knight Commander of the Order of Christ (1870) and Commander of the Order of the Rose (Brazil 1883).
He lived for sometime in England where he headed an export co. at Liverpool with a branch in Fortaleza, in Brazil. He then lived in Rio de Janeiro working in the Banking business.

Sources: Barão de Vasconcelos e Barão Smith de Vasconcelos, Archivo Nobiliáchico Brasileiro, Lausanne, 1918,
Nuno Lopo Smith de Vasconcellos, A Família Smith de Vasconcellos. Rio de Janeiro; 1927

Joaquim de Sousa Leão (Brazil)

Joaquim de Sousa Leão was a distinguished Brazilian historian and diplomat of Portuguese ascendancy.
He wrote on Art and historical subjects being an expert on the Flemish painter Frans Post:
Frans Post 1612-1680, Amsterdam: A.L. Gendt & Co., 1973 & Frans Post, São Paulo, Civilização Brasileira, 1948. Description des tableaux que le Prince Maurice de Nassau a offerts au Roi Louis XIV, p. 94-98.
The arms are those of the ancient Portuguese lineage of Sousas do Prado a royal bastard line but heraldically incorrect, since the bearer had no title to these arms since he was not the lineage chief.
The bookplate was made in England and is signed W.P.B. and dated 1927.
Bibliography: Fausto Moreira Rato, Os Mais Belos Ex-Líbris Heráldico Brasileiros, in «Boletim da Academia Portuguesa de Ex-Líbris», Ano XXXVII, (1992), # 92, Lisboa, 1992, pp. 37-66.

John Blandy (dated 1791)

This John Blandy might well be related to the Madeira Island Blandy family, if not their ancestor.
The Blandy’s are one of the oldest British Families established in the Island of Madeira firstly as wine traders and then as Bankers, wine producers and navigation agents.
The first Blandy to set foot in Madeira seems to have been John Blandy (1783-1855), back in 1807, a Quartermaster of a British Regiment which occupied Madeira in the early 1800’s, under the command of General Wiliam Carr Beresford. Of this John Blandy background little is known. At the Blandy’s website it is said that he came from Berkshire.
However, a Portuguese writer and genealogist L. Peter Clode wrote that he was born at Piddletrenhide, co. Dorset.
Probably the son of a Charles Blandy who married Elizabeth Davis in 1782, at that parish and with a son named John born precisely in 1783.
John Blandy married Janet Burden in 1810 and returned to Madeira where he founded a Co. of wine trading.
The arms in the bookplate and the motto are the same as the one’s used in the bookplate of John Blandy’s grandson - John Burden Blandy (d. 1912) from Blandy Bros. & Co.
(to be continued)

Wednesday, 22 November 2006

Comte La Tour-du-Pin la Charce

René-François-André de la Tour du Pin de la Charce (1715-1778)

Comte de La Tour-du-Pin La Charce, comte de Bosmont, de Ranay et Monthenault, vicomte de la Charce, Baron des planiters et d’Aleyrac
Brigadier des Armées du Roi, commander of the Bourbon Regiment, suffered severe wounds atthe battle of Lawfeld (or Lauffeld) fought on July, 2nd 1747, during the War of the Austrian Succession, between the French led by Marshall de Saxe and the Anglo-Dutch Armies led by Prince William-Augustus (1721-1765), Duke of Cumberland and the Prince of Orange
Chevalier de l’Ordre de Saint-Louis bef. 1740 (cf. Jean-François-Louis d'Hozier, Ordre Royal et Militaire de Saint-Louis, Recueil de tous les membres, Paris, 1817, vol. II, p. 263).
Married in 1741 Jacqueline-Louise-Charlotte de Chambly, dame de Bosmont dau of Charles-François de Chambly, comte de Bosmomt et de Ranay.

Sources: Jean-Baptiste Moulinet, Tableaux généalogiques et raisonnés de la maison de La Tour-du-Pin ... Paris, 1870

Tuesday, 21 November 2006

Antoine-François Doyen

Antoine-François Doyen (1693-1767)

He was a member of a family of distinguished Notaries practising in Paris at the Chatelêt. He married Geneviève Brochant.
His library was sold in an auction in 1768 of which a Catalogue was published:
Catalogue de la bibliothèque de feu M. Doyen, notaire au Châtelet de Paris, Jacques-François Mérigot, 1768

Monday, 20 November 2006

Lady Anne, Baroness Brassey

Lady Anne Brassey, (1839- 1887), Baroness Brassey of Bulkeley

Née Anne Allnut she was the daughter of John Allnut, Esq. and Elizabeth Harriet Burnett. She married in 1860, Sir Thomas Brassey, 1st Earl & Baron Brassey, of Bulkeley the son of Thomas Brassey and Maria Farrington Harris.
The Durbar Hall, acquired and rebuilt at the back of Lord Brassey’s house at Park Lane, London, housed the collection of ethnographic material acquired by Lady Brassey during her travels.

Books by Lady Anne Brassey:

The Voyage in the Sunbeam, our Home on the Ocean for Eleven Months (1878); Lady Brassey's Three voyages in 'The Sunbeam', Longmans, Green, and Co (1888); paperback ed., David & Charles, 1988; see also Project Guttenberg
Sunshine and storm in the east, or cruises to Cyprus and Constantinople. London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1880; modern paperback ed. by Gorgias Press LLC, 2005
An interesting essay by Nancy Micklewright, A Victorian Traveler in the Middle East: The Photography and Travel Writing of Annie Lady Brassey, Ashgate Publishing (December 2003).

See also another biographical account of lady Brassey:
The bookplate is not recorded in the Frank’s Collection catalogue, but must have been made about the same time as that of her husband Sir Thomas Brassey, that is after 1886 when he was created Baron Brassey, of Bulkeley.
Lady Brassey's bookplate is very rare in Portuguese collections. Her husband bookplate, on the contrary does appear, although rarely, in Portuguese collections. It is often considered to be related with Portugal, since Sir Thomas Brassey and Lady Anne sojourned at Funchal, the capital of Madeira on their grand sea voyage and his father Thomas Brassey’s Co. was involved in the building of the first railway lines in this country
Sources: the and for the photograph.

Saturday, 18 November 2006

Sir Thomas Brassey, Baron and Earl Brassey

Sir Thomas Brassey (1836 - 1918) KCB, KStJ, Baron Brassey, of Bulkeley

Sir Thomas was the son of Thomas Brassey - the famous Enginneer and railway contractor -and Maria Farringdon Harrison.

He m. 1stly Lady Anne Allnut, dau of John Allnut, Esq. and 2ndly Hon. Sybil de Vere Capell, dau of Lieut.-Colonel Arthur de Vere Capell, Viscount Malden.
Cr. Baron Brassey, of Bulkeley, co. Chester [U.K.] (1886) and Earl Brassey, of Bulkeley, Lancashire [U.K.] (1911) and 1st Viscount Hythe of Hythe, co. Kent [U.K.] (1911).
An M.A. (University Coll., Oxford), admitted to Lincoln’s Inn in 1864, M.P. (Liberal) for Hastings from 1868-1886, Lord of the Admiralty (1884-1885). He held the office of Lord-in-Waiting (1893-1895) and of Governor of Victoria between 1895 and 1901. Among his foreign decorations he was Commander of Legion d'Honneur and Grand Cross of Order of the Crown, of Italy.
Awarded honorary degree of Doctor of Civil Laws (D.C.L.) by Oxford University, in 1888 and honorary degree of Doctor of Law (LL.D.) by Dublin University, in 1903. He was invested as a Knight Grand Cross, Order of the Bath (G.C.B.) on 29 June 1906.
The bookplate must have been made after 1886 and before 1911. His first wife Lady Anne Brassey also used a bookplate which we will deal with in a separate post.

Sir Thomas had a passion for the sea and he travelled extensively in his steam yacht, the Sunbeam having made a round the world voyage with his family which lasted 11 months.

One of the curiosities of Lord Brassey was that he acquired the Durbar Hall – a house built for the Colonial and Indian Exhibition held in South Kensington in 1886 reproducing an Indian Palace, and had it rebuilt at the back of his London house to be used as a smoking room and as a Museum to house the valuable collection of ethnographic material acquired by Lady Anne Brassey.

After his death, his son and heir Lord Thomas Brassey, 2nd Earl, presented the building and many of its contents to the town of Hastings where it was re-erected as an extension to the Museum in 1931 (for the Brassey’s collections and Durbar Hall see,

Among his extravagancies, Lord Brassey built, in 1870, a house at Catsfield – the Normanhurst Court -, in the style of a French Chateau, which was used later partially used as a Hospital in WWI and as a prison camp during WWII and sademolished after the war ended, see,

Sources - Biography: see -; and
Australian Dicionary of Biography -,_1st_Earl_Brassey
Biography of Thomas Brassey his father
and Sir A. Helps, Life and Labours of Mr. Brassey: 1805-1870, Second Edition, London, Bell & Daldy, 1872 and portrait at

Sir George Beaumont

Another fine XVIIth c. English Heraldic Bookplate

Sir George Beaumont, 4th Bart., of Stoughton Grange (c. 1665-1737)

Frank’s #1958
Early armorial

Arms: Azure, semée of fleurs-de-lis and a lion rampant or.

Crest – on a chapeau azure, semée of fleurs-de-lis and turned up ermine, a lion passant or.

Sir George was M.P. for Leicester, Commissioner of the Privy Seal in 1712, and one of the Lords of the Admiralty, in 1714.

He was the son of Sir Henry Beaumont, 2nd Bart and grandson of Sir Thomas Beaumont, 1st Bart (d. 1676). Cr. 1660-61.

The Beaumonts of Stoughton Grange are of very ancient and noble lineage descending from direct male line from Lord Henry de Beaumont, Earl of Buchan, son of Louis "d'Acre" de BRIENNE, Viscount de Beaumont (-1297) and Agnes de Beaumont, Viscountess de Beaumont, descending from the feudal Lords of Beaumont-Maine.
Other sources, like Debrett’s Peerage, however make them descending of King Louis VIII, of France through his grandson Louis d’Anjou, but this seems an error, since the latter died young.

Seat: Cole Orton Hall, Ashby-de-la Zouche
Sources: Stirnet;

Thursday, 16 November 2006

2nd Marquess of Castelo Rodrigo

D. Manuel de Moura Corte-Real (1582-1652), 2nd Marquis of Castelo Rodrigo (cr. 1600 by Philip III, king of Spain)
High Commander of the Order of Christ and Vedor da Fazenda (Chancelor of the Exchequer (1624), Governor of the Spanish Flanders (1644-1647), High Chamberlain of Philip IV and Ambassador to the Holy See.
He was the son of the powerful D. Cristóvão de Moura (1538-1613), 1st Marquess of Castelo Rodrigo, faithful follower of Philip II of Spain having decisively helped Philip in obtaining by force and corruption the vacant Crown of Portugal in 1580. For his loyal services to the Spanish Habsburgs he rose to high offices, namely member of the Council of Portugal and in Philip III’s reign as Vice-Roy of Portugal. His governement of Portugal is ill-remembered and still today is considered as to have strongly harmed Portugal with the levying of high taxes and following the interests of Spain.
After the Restoration, in 1640, the Marquess of Castelo Rodrigo remained faithful to the Spanish Austrians and did not return to Portugal where he was considered a traitor and had all his estates confiscated by the Crown. The Palace his father had built in 1590 at Castelo Rodrigo was sacked and destroyed by the populace after the Restoration, symbolizing the hatred to the Moura family.

Artist: Jan Schorkens (c. 1622)
Tech.: C2.
Size: 201mm x 311 mm
Arms: Quarterings: I, IV - Moura; II, III - Corte-Real. Crest: Moura & Corte-Real. Cross of the Castilian Order of Calatrava
The bookplate of the 2nd. Marquess of Castelo Rodrigo depicts two crests which was contrary to the Portuguese and Iberian heraldic traditions, and was probably due to the Flemish origin of the engraver.
If the claims against the nature of the bookplates of D. Jorge Almeida and of D. Afonso de Castelo Branco (see previous postings) are correct, this would be the oldest known Portuguese ex libris, dating from 1622 [1].
Jan Schorkens, was a well-known Flemish artist who worked in Madrid from 1618-1630 and accompanied King Philip III when he visited Lisbon

[1] Fausto Moreira Rato, Manual de Ex-Librística, subsídios para a história e arte dos ex-líbris, Imprensa Nacional-Casa da Moeda, Lisboa, 1976, pp. 32; Sérgio Avelar Duarte, Ex-Líbris Portugueses Heráldicos, Liv. Civilização Editora, Porto, 1990, p. 360.

D. Afonso de Castelo Branco, Bishop of Coimbra

D. Afonso de Castelo Branco (1522-1615) – 41st Bishop of Coimbra and 6th Count of Arganil, Bishop of Algarve (1581-85) and Vice-Roy of Portugal (1603-05) during the reign of PhilipII (III of Spain) (1598-1621
Arms: Castelo Branco. Motto: «De forti egressa est dulcedo».
Tech.: X2. Size: 107mm x 123mm.
There are still doubts as to its use as a bookplate. The Castelo Branco's arms bear a lion rampant azure but without the book in his mouth.
During the succession crisis opened with the death of Cardinal-King D. Henrique in 1580, the University of Coimbra receiving news of the acclamation of Anthony, Prior of Crato (Order of Malta) at Santarém, recognized him as King of Portugal. But after a while, having received word of the recognition of Philip II of Spain as King of Portugal, the University sent a delegation to Philip on his arrival to Portugal presided by the Bishop, D. Afonso de Castelo Branco, to swear the allegiance of the University. This, however, did not avoid the prosecution of several scholars from the University.
Ordered the building of the Church of the Jesuits, started in 1598 and only finished in 1640. After the suppression of the Jesuits in 1759, became the new Episcopal See.
During his rule he also had the Synodal Constitutions, published in 1591 (reprinted in 1791):
· Constituições sinodaes do Bispado de Coimbra, feytas & ordenadas em Synodo pelo Illmº Sr. D. Affonso de Castel Branco, bispo de Coimbra, conde de Arganil & do Conselho del Rey N. S. &c. Coimbra : Antonio de Mariz, 1591.
· Constituiçoens synodaes do Bispado de Coimbra, feitas e ordenadas em Synodo pelo Illustrissimo Senhor Dom Afonso de Castel Branco, bispo de Coimbra, conde de Arganil, do Conselho del Rey N. S. &c. & por seu mandado impressas em Coimbra, anno 1591 : e novamente impressas no anno de 1730 com hum novo index... Coimbra : No Real Collegio das Artes da Companhia de Jesus, 1731.

(to be continued)

Wednesday, 15 November 2006

American Bookplates XVIIIth c.

Confessions of a Bookplate Junkie: 18th Century American Bookplates Odds& Ends

Lew Jaffe, a pioneer in Blogs about Bookplates, publishes interesting notes on XVIIIth c. American Armorial Bookplates from Loyalists or what can be called Anglo-Americans, after the Independence.
Worth a visit.

Tuesday, 14 November 2006

Portuguese Armorials I

D. Jorge de Almeida (1531-1585)
Archbishop of Lisbon (1570-1585)

A distinguished prelate was also Abbot of the rich Monastery of Alcobaça and Rector of the University of Coimbra till 1563. A member of the Regency Council appointed by King D. Sebastião on his absence in Morocco, after the death of Cardinal-King D. Henrique in 1580, he supported the pretensions to the Crown from Philip II, King of Spain who after becoming King of Portugal made him Inquisitor-General.
Tech.: C2
Size: 87 x 115
Arms: Quartering: I, IV - Almeida; II, III - Henriques.
For a longtime considered to have been the oldest Portuguese bookplate apart from having been used in the frontspice of a famous book, till F. Moreira Rato refuted it as a bookplate. The question is still under controversy.

Ex Libris De Layre

Ex Libris de Layre

Arms: Bourgnon, baron de Layre, argent a "bourgnon" thereinto entering a fish between three roses, all gules. Poitou, baron in 1811. Note again the Restoration coronet, rather than an Imperial "toque" (the neo-Rococo style is in any event mid-19th c. at earliest) (Valette).

A bourgnon is a basket with which a certain type of sea enclosure (called a bouchot) was closed off.

The enclosure was V-shaped, with the pointed end toward the shore, and the tip of the V was left open when the tide was coming in.

Once the tide started going out, the tip was closed off with the bourgnon, and the fish were trapped within the enclosure...

Notes kindly provided by F. Velde.

Ex Libris L. de Laubespin

Ex Libris L. de Laubespin (XVIIIth c.)

Arms: Mouchet de Laubespin.

Quarterly, 1 and 4 gules a sword erect between two roses or (Battefort), 2 and 3 azure a saltire between four billets or (Laubespin). Over all gules a fess argent between three kestrels or. Supporters: two lions guardant or, armed and langued gules.

The arms are in Rietstap and (with the quarters exchanged) in Valette. Valette says they are originally from Franche-Comté, lineage to 1525, counts 1649.

Rietstap gives them as being in Bruxelles and adds: "reconnaissance du titre de comte, 24 juin 1873", but I don't know if that means that the title of count was recognized in France or in Brussels. Franche-Comté was Spanish until 1667. Notes kindly provided by F. Velde.

Bookplate Marquis de Beaumont du Repaire

XVIIIth century

Arms: gules on a fess argent three fleurs-de-lys azure.
Dauphiné and Périgord, lineage to 1322. (Beaumont d'Autichamp branch made counts in 1817). The Beaumont du Repaire branch used the courtesy title of comte de La Roque in the 18th c. (La Chesnaye-Desbois). Notes kindly provided by F. Velde).
«Branche des seigneurs du Repaire, qui était représentée en 1789 par Christophe, comte de Beaumont, petit neveu de l'archevêque de Paris, marié à Madeleine Joséphine de Grossolles-Flamarens, dont il eut:
Amédée, comte de Beaumont, qui n'a pas d'enfants, et Amblard, comte de Beaumont, marié à N... de Perrochel, veuve depuis 1846, dont sont issus:
1° Olivier de Beaumont, mort sans alliance le 8 mai 1844 ; 2° Marie de Beaumont, unique héritière de son rameau, et mariée le 9 avril 1852 à Alfred Adrien, comte de Noailles, ancien attaché de la légation française en Chine». Source:
See, Château de Merville belonging to the family

Italian Armorial Bookplates 1

Marchesi Luserna D'Angrogna (Piemonte)
(circa 1620)

A rare anonymous XVIIth century Italian bookplate bearing the arms, crest and motto of the Marquesses of Angrogna and Counts of Luserna, an ancient family from Piedmont, Italy.
Arms: Quarterly:-1st per fess, Gules a three towered castle embattled of three Or [Castille], and Gules tierced of the second (Austria); 2nd and 3rd Bendy of six Gules and Argent (Ancient Luserne); 4th Gules, an eagle displayed Argent. At fess point an inescucheon of Savoy; Gules, a cross Argent.
Motto: Lux in Tenebris Lucet
The Family traces its roots back to Manfred, Count of Luserna in the XIIth century, from whom descended in direct male line Carlo Francesco, Count of Luserna, (1551-1616), Knight Order Supremo SS Annunziata and ambassador in Prague, who obtained from the Duke of Savoy in 1558 the right to wear the arms of Savoie and from King Philip II of Spain, those of Austria and Castille in 1559.
He had two sons Emanuele Filippo (1592-?), Count of Luserna, Knight of the Order of Saint Maurice and Saint Lazare and Giacomo Francesco (1593-?), also a Knight of th Order of Saint Maurice and Saint Lazare (1612).
The bookplate could have belonged to one of them
At the town of Luserna San Giovanni there still exists the family’s Castello and the Luserna d'Angrogna Archives are deposited at the Biblioteca Reale di Torino (
The present Head of the Family is the Marquis Bruno Vincenzo Manfredi d'Angrogna Luserna von Staufen-Berg (see, Burke’s

Monday, 13 November 2006

Alexandre Marie Françoise Paule de Dompierre

Alexandre Marie Françoise Paule de Dompierre (?-1828)
Seigneur d’Haunoy Fontaine, Conseiller and Président au Parlement de Paris.
Arrested and imprisoned for 6 months in 1794, left his Memoirs in 1795. Grandnephew of Voltaire.

Friday, 10 November 2006

Ernst August KRAHL (1858-1926)

Ernst A. Krahl was an Austrian artist and heraldist and a founding member of the Austrian Ex Libris Society in 1903. He designed many ex libris and not only heraldic influenced by the Art Nouveau style. His heraldic bookplates of which we show two examples are very rich in details and very beautiful.

Gustav Richter Edler von Wittbach (1839-1914)
Year: Wien, 1900
Tech.: Heliogravure

Exlibris Bibliothecae Scotensis Amando Abbate
Wien, 1900
Tech.: Heliogravure

Bibliog: Krahl, Ernst August, Mährisches Wappenbuch vom Jahre 1888, Beheym-Verlag Gessertshausen 1986 (Reprint der Ausgabe von 1888)

Wednesday, 8 November 2006

Bookplate of William Cowper, of Hertingfordbury Park (? -1740)

The son of the Hon. Spencer Cowper (d1728), Chief Justice of Chester and Attorney General to the Prince of Wales, second son of Sir William Cowper, 2nd Bart of Ratling Court (d 26.11.1706), and of Pennington Goodere, dau of John Goodere.
William Cowper hold the office of Clerk of the Parliaments from 1716-1740 and was succeeded by his younger brother Ashley Cowper (d 1788). He lived at Hertingfordbury Park, co. Hertford which had been bought by his father.
He married Joan Budget dau. of John Budget of Chelsea from whom he had two sons and one daughter Mary Cowper (d.1800) who m. to Sir William de Grey, 1st. Lord Walsingham (d.1781). Two of his contemporary famous namesakes were his relatives: William Cowper (c.1665-1773), 1st Earl of Cowper and Lord Chancellor of Great Britain was his uncle and another William Cowper (1731-1800) - the celebrated poet, was his nephew.
His great-great-grandfather Sir William Cowper (1582-1664), created 1st Baronet of Ratling Court, co. Kent in 1642, was a Royalist who loyally supported Charles I and for it he paid with imprisonment by Cromwell and had his estates confiscated, but later reinstated after the Restoration. His son John Copwer, of Lincoln's Inn, also a Royalist died in prison in 1643 during the I Civil War.
Breaking family traditions, the latter's eldest son - Sir William Cowper, 2nd Bart, and his elder son the 1st Earl of Cowper, a distinguished lawyer and brilliant Whig orator in Parliament, made immediate allegiance to William, Prince of Orange on his arrival to England.

Tuesday, 7 November 2006

Bookplate of Sir Paul Methuen, P.C., K.B.

Sir Paul Methuen, P.C., K.B. (b. 1672 - d. 1757)
The son of John Methuen (c.1650-1706), P.C., M.P., Lord Chancelor of Ireland who was also Envoy to Portugal in 1692-97 & 1702 and Ambassador Extraordinary, in 1703, to conclude the Anglo-Portuguese Treaty signed in December and which became known by his name. The famous Methuen Treaty established that in return for the admission of English woollens into Portugal, England was granted favorable duties favoring the importation of Portuguese wines into England. With time this came to replace French wines for the famous Port and to favour the establishement of a large community of British merchants in Portugal who came to gain control of the Port Wine export trade. It is still matter of controversy among historians the effects of the Treaty had on Portugal's development.

Sir Paul was also Envoy Extraordinary (1697-1705) and Ambassador to Portugal (1706-08). In 1706 was appointed one of the Lords of the Admiralty and eight years later became Lord of the Treasury and a Privy Counsellor. In 1716 he was principal Secretary of State and ten years after was made a Knight of the Bath.
A keen patron of the Arts, he spent part of his wealth bying fine paintings of the XVIth-XVIIth centuries of Continental Old Masters.
He died unmarried and for his services to the nation he was buried at Westminster Abbey near his father's tomb.
A kinsman and godson - Paul Methuen (1723- 1795) , inherited his vast fortune and fabulous picture collection having acquired Corsham Court and redesigned and enlarged it in order to display Sir Paul Methuens's collection. The former's grandson also Paul Methuen (1779-1849), MP, was created Baron Methuen, Corsham, Co. Wilts, in 1838.
The Picture Collection at Corsham Court was considerably enrichened by another Paul Methuen (1886-1974), 4th Baron.

Arms: Argent, three wolves' heads erased proper.
Crest: A wolf's head couped proper.
Supporters - Ttwo fiery lynxes reguardant proper, collared and chained or.
According to Lord de Tabley, the bookplate was executed c. 1720.

His portrait at

On the significance of the Methuen Treaty of 1703 and the role of Sir Paul Methuen and his father John Methuen, cf. Sir Richard Lodge, LL.D., Litt.D., «The Treaties of 1703», in «Chapters in Anglo-Portuguese Relations», ed. by Prof. Edgar Prestage, Voss & Michael, Ld., Watford, 1935, pp. 152-170

Monday, 6 November 2006

Sir Walter Blount,of Sodington

Sir Walter Blount, 6th baronet of Blount, of Sodington co. Worcester, (b. bef. 1749- d. 1785)
F 2885
He was the son of Sir Edward Blount, 4th Bt. and Apollonia Throckmorton, dau. of Sir John or Robert Throckmorton, 3rd Baronet of Coughton, Warwick.
Succeeded his brother Sir Edward Blount, 5th Bart of Sodington (dsp 19.10.1765).
Sir Walter married Hon. Mary Aston (1743-1805), dau. of Sir James Aston, 5th Lord Aston of Forfar and Barbara Maria Talbot, on 21 September 1766. He died in Lisle, France. Thy had three sons, the eldest being Sir Walter Blount, 7th Bt. (1768-1803). His grandson Walter Aston Edward Blount, Esq.,( 1807–1894), FSA was Clarenceux King of Arms, in 1882.
Tha Blounts were an old family settled in Sodington and Mamble, in Worcestershire, of Roman Catholic faith and loyal Royalists having had their manor house at Sodington burnt down by Cromwell's soldiers during the Civil War and estates confiscated.
Arms: Blount quartering Sodington.
Crest: the sun in glory.
Other members of this Family used also bookplates.
sources: and

Earl de Grey of Wrest

Thomas Philip de Grey, K.G., (1781-1859), 2nd. Earl de Grey of Wrest
3rd. Baron Grantham (s. 1786), 2nd. Earl de Grey of Wrest (s. 1833), and 6th Baron Lucas (s. 1833)

Frank's # 25232

The son of Sir Thomas Robinson, 2nd. baron Grantham, Foreign Secretary (1782-3) and of Lady Mary Jemnia Yorke, great-granddaughter of Lord Henry Grey, Duke of Kent.
Assumed the surname of Weddell in lieu of Robinson and later on the surname of Grey, under Royal licence. He was Lord Lieutenant of Ireland (1841-4).
He married Lady Henrietta Frances Cole (1784-1848), dau. of William Willoughby Cole, 1st Earl of Enniskillen.
His younger brother was Lord Frederick John Robinson, Viscount Goderich, 1st Earl of Ripon (1782-1859, Prime Minister from 1827 to 1828 after G. Canning. He was also 2nd cousin of Lord Stuart of Rothesay's wife.
His dau. Lady Anne Florence de Grey suc. to the Barony of Lucas and m. the George Augustus Frederick, 6th Earl Cowper.
Lord de Grey built a fabulous house at the family's estate in Wrest Park, in Bedfordshire

Arms: Quarterly of six: 1st and 6th, Grey; 2nd, Robinson; 3rd, Yorke; 4th, Campbell; 5th, Lucas.

See, an interesting article on his mother and grand-mother - Aristocratic Women
The Social, Political and Cultural History of Rich and Poweful Women
Part 1: The Correspondence of Jemima, Marchioness Grey (1722-97) and her Circle.

Henry Grey, Duke of Kent

Henry Grey, K.G., P.C., (1671-1740) - Duke of Kent
2nd. Baron Lucas, of Crudwell, 12th Earl of Kent (suc. 1702), Duke of Kent (cr. 1710), Marquess of Kent (cr. 1706), Viscount Goodrich and Earl of Harold (cr. 1706), and Marquess of Grey (1740).
The son of Lord Anthony Grey, 11th Earl of Kent and of Lady Mary Lucas, Baroness Lucas of Crudwell, was made Lord Chamberlain and then Lord Steward and later Lord Privy Seal.
Married 1stly, Lady Jemima Crew, dau. of Thomas Crewe, Lord of Steane and 2ndly, in 1728, Lady Sophia Bentinck, dau. of Hans William Bentinck, 1st Earl of Portland.
He was suceeded by his granddaughter Lady Jemima Yorke, 2nd Marchioness Grey and Baroness Lucas (1723-1797), dau. of Lord John Campbell, 3rd Earl of Breadalbane and Holland and of Lady Amabell Grey. She married Philip Yorke, 2nd Earl of Hardwicke.

Arms: Grey impaling Bentinck (from his 2nd wife).

Notes: In the Catalogue of the Franks' Collection (1903) it appears as # 12830. He had 4 other bookplates described under #s. 12828, 12829, 12831 & 12832.
cf. Brian North Lee, «British Bookplates», 1979

Gerard de Visme Bookplate

Gerard de Visme (1725?-1797)

A prominent member of the British Factory in Lisbon who made a vast fortune with the contract of diamonds commerce with Brazil.
His family of French Huguenot extraction had fled to England during the religious persecutions in France.
He lived in a sumptuous Quinta at Benfica, in the then outskirts of Lisbon, painted by Noel and from which J. Wells made an engraving in 1794.

In 1790, he acquired the Monserrate estate, near Sintra, and built a neo-gothic palace at the site of an old chapel which he ordered to be moved to another location.
Monserrate was to become famous through William Beckford who hired the estate in 1794 and lived there till 1796. After decades of decadence it was acquired by Sir Francis Cook who built the present mansion and beautiful park and gardens, (see,
After having left Portugal around 1794, Gerard de Visme lived England at Wimbledon Lodge.
His daughter Emily De Visme (?-1883) married General Sir Henry Murray (1784-1860), the son of the 2nd Earl of Mansfield.

Bibl.: Lima, Henrique de Campos Ferreira, Os ex-libris de Gerard de Visme fundador da quinta e palácio de Monserrate em Cintra, Sep. da «Revista de Exlibris Portugueses». [S.l. : s.n.], 1922, (Porto, Typ. da Empr. Literaria e Typographica)

Thursday, 2 November 2006

Thomas Bramston, of Skreens

Thomas Bramston, Esq. of Skreens

The identification of this ex libris presents serious difficulties given the scarcity of information provided by the Franks' Collection Catalogue.
The Bramstons of Skreens, in Essex, descend from Sir John Bramston (1577-1654), Lord Chief Justice who, in 1606 m. Bridget Moundeford, dau. of Thomas Mondeford. They had several children namely, Sir John Bramston, K..B (1611-1699) a lawyer from Essex and Sir Mondeford Bramston (d.1679), master of Chancery.
Sir John, second of the name, left his autobiography in manuscript and m. Alice Abdy with a vast progeny, among whom Anthony Bramston, of Skreens.
Anthony Bramston (1640-1722) m. Catherine Nutt and had a Thomas Bramston, of Skreens and several other children, among whom a John Bramston (d.1718), m. to Mary Pennington, of Chigwell Hall, where they lived.
Thomas Bramston is said to have been born circa 1658 and died around 1757. He lived at Skreens, where he built a house around 1710 and married 1stly., Diana Turner (d. 1725) without issue and 2ndly., in 1731, with Elizabeth Berney.
But one of his father's cousins was also named Thomas Bramston, 3rd. son of Sir Mondeford Bramston and of Alice Hunt who married Grace Gregory (1671-1758), of Waterhouse, co. Essex, with issue.
However, he seems to have lived at Waterhouse and not at Skreens like his kinsman Thomas. That’s why we are inclined to think that the bookplate belonged to the latter.
In the next three generations there were three Thomas:
1. His son was Thomas Berney Bramston (1732-1812), of Skreens, who was an MP and m. Mary Gardiner. They had:
2. Rev. John Bramston and Thomas Gardiner Bramston, of Skreens, who m. Maria Anna Blaauw, by whom he had:
3. Thomas William Bramston also an MP for South Essex (1835-65) who in 1830, m. Elizabeth Harvey, dau. of Admiral Sir Eliab Harvey Nugent, commander of Temerate at Trafalgar.

Sources: A History of the County of Essex: Volume 4: Ongar Hundred (1956), at